Sunday, December 23, 2007

It's coming on Christmas

They're cutting down trees
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

~ Joni Mitchell, "River"
That's how I felt for much of December. Too many commitments, too many worries, not enough time, and not enough money to do things how I would like. But now I'm in the Christmas spirit, just in time. The shopping was finished yesterday, gifts are wrapped, the tree is decorated, and cookies are baked. Not many of my holiday knitting plans came to fruition, but my friends and family doubtless will appreciate receiving handknit items in January and February "just because."

I just returned from a lovely visit home to Minnesota to see my family. I even wished that I could have stayed longer, which probably means I stayed exactly the right length of time.
Pattern: Stockinette Watchcap from Charlene Schuch's Hats On
Needles: Knitpicks US5 16" metal circs, Clover US4 bamboo dpns
Yarn: Queensland Collection Kathmandu Aran Tweed, 2 balls


The hat for my dad is finished, although I'm afraid it may be too large. Paul will have to try it on for fit. There's also an owl hat in the works, too. I'm still chugging along on the EZ and Newfoundland mittens.
Mia sent me a marvelous Christmas package, complete with a whole battalion of these cute gingerbread boy ornaments. All sorts of other goodies, too -- books, fabric, quilt kits, a baby sweater kit, German gingerbread cookies (YUM!) and fancy French jam. Now that woman sends a great parcel! I'm afraid her parcel won't make it out in the mail until the New Year, though.
A couple weeks ago Paul and I went on our annual Fugly Christmas Sweater Pub Crawl. 150 people were involved this year -- a new record! That many people clad in hideous holiday garments moving from one Wrigleyville bar to another is quite the sight. No one managed to pull off a fugly sweater nearly as well as Colin Firth in Bridget Jones' Diary, though.

No comments: