Friday, December 07, 2007

autumn leaves, just in time for winter snowflakes

My Autumn Leaves scarf is complete, just as Jack Frost arrives. Project Details

Pattern: Leaf Lace Scarf, a free pattern by Janet at Twisted Knitter
Yarn: The Plucky Knitter Merino Fingering, "Oak Creek Canyon" - 1 skein
Needles: US 5 Clover bamboo straights

Notes: The pattern is very easy to follow, and the yarn is a dream to knit. I highly recommend both! Janet calls for Malabrigo laceweight yarn, which is on the heavier side of lace yarns. I went with the fingering weight because I loved the colors. A solid or semi-solid yarn would be a better showcase for the pattern, but I'm happy with my choice.
Speaking of nice things that are orange, Mia sent me this cute little guy last month:

hiding in the dining room jungle
It's the Purl Frog! He has been keeping me company through all the end-of-term grading. By the way, Mia is organizing Small Comforts, a drive to collect handknit items for military hospitals right here in the US. It's a great cause.
I had sent Mia a couple care packages a while back, and, man, does she know how to reciprocate. Here's a huge array of quilting books, many with wintry themes perfect for the season:
Oodles of Jo Sharp DK merino yarn:
I'm planning to use these for a simple cabled vest for my dad. Many thanks, Mia! I've already plowed through a few of the novels, too.

No comments: