Thursday, October 30, 2014

shattered sun

When I saw a sample of the shattered sun shawl at Windy Knitty (my favorite Chicago yarn store), I just had to make it. Immediately. I bought the yarn that night and cast on right away. Lo and behold, a finished shawl! This is really unusual for me. I tend to dither about what to knit, and yarn marinates in the stash for a good while. The experience was refreshing, and I love the shawlette.
pattern: shattered sun shawl, by Felicia Lo
yarn: madelinetosh tosh merino light, esoteric, 1 skein (420 yds.)
needles: Clover US 5/3.75 mm bamboo circs

notes:
Tosh merino light is incredibly soft and cozy. Yes, it will pill, but it's like butter to knit, and it's wonderful to wrap around your neck. Unlike my last Madelinetosh yarn experience, this skein had just one break/knot. The pattern is well-written. My only complaint is that I don't love the ruffle and the bind-off, but that's minor and merely a personal preference. I had a little yarn to spare at the end, but not much.

8 comments:

Rue said...

Oh, that is lovely! I'm with you on the ruffle bind-off but struggling to come up with an alternative. Maybe a longer ruffle a la Citron would make it feel less frilly? Or perhaps some simple mesh lace?

susan said...

Personally, I think it's absolutely lovely, just the way it is. The color is just beautiful. And good for you for making it right away. When I get new wool I'm happy to just look at it for awhile. Then I like to make yarn cakes and stare a little more. Sounds crazy, I know, but I really like the whole experience.

Caffeine Girl said...

That shawl is absolutely gorgeous. I had to take a break just now to add it to my queue. I love the ruffle and edging! And that's one of my favorite colors.

kathy b said...

Your color choice is wonderful. What a beauty of a shawlette

Anonymous said...

I love how the shawl matches your coat perfectly! And the color is just divine.

Tracy Altieri said...

Love the shawl, and your decisiveness!

Allison said...

It takes me forever to match up yarn with a project, so I'm very impressed that you just did it and knitted this shawl so quickly. It's a beauty!

Gillian said...

That is really beautiful and done so quickly!