Wednesday, October 03, 2007

FO #1

Pattern: Oz Vest from Louisa Harding's Natural Knits for Babies and Moms
Size: up to 6 months
Yarn: RYC Cashcotton DK, #601 "cool", 1.5 skeins
Needles: US4 circs and US5 bamboo straights

Notes: This is not a difficult pattern, but the instructions for shaping the V-neck and armholes are woefully inadequate. I'm sure Harding was trying to make it easy for knitters with different row gauges, but I ended up writing out row by row instructions. The yarn was quite nice to knit; I like it better than RYC's Cashsoft line. It's soft and slightly elastic, and the cashmere gives it a soft glow. I easily could have made the largest size (up to 12 months) with two skeins.

I'm running out of yarn on the diagonal baby blanket, so it's on hold until I make a yarn store trip. I cast on for Hattie's Rose Garden, a dropped stitch shawl pattern from Briar Rose Fibers, using Mountain Colors Alpaca Blend in "wild raspberry" from my stash. It's a lovely and easy pattern. I had intended to use my Briar Rose Wistful from the WI Sheep & Wool Festival, but it's being saved for the Morning Glory wrap from Knitspot instead.
Not the best picture, I must admit.

Real Simple's Pumpkin-Leek Soup recipe was a real hit around here. It has a great texture since you use both canned and fresh pumpkin, and it's wonderfully healthy.

Here's the delicious pesto recipe, as promised. The spinach really makes it outstanding!

2 C. basil leaves, firmly packed
1 C. spinach leaves, torn, firmly packed
1 C. Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 C. pine nuts
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. olive oil (or even a little less)

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT olive oil in a food processor or blender. Cover and process using the pulse feature until a paste forms, scraping the sides occasionally. With the machine running slowly, gradually add olive oil and process until you reach the desired consistency. It whips up a bit.

Great with pasta, chicken breasts, even just thrown in with rice to give it some flavor.

No comments: