Monday, January 03, 2011

decemberists in january

I came home today to find both kitties snuggling in the much-beloved heated cat bed. Kind of a tight squeeze, but what could be cuter? Many thanks for all the comments and well wishes for my sweet Kylie.  She's walking a lot better these days.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you in the pro-Decemberists camp, here's a delightful array of links:

- The new album, The King is Dead, is streaming in its entirety here. Hear that jangly Rickenbacker on "Calamity Song"? Love!
- An interview with Colin Meloy here -- I don't love the interviewer, but Colin's charming (as usual), and the live songs are marvelous. I was thrilled to hear Colin to talk about R.E.M., another old favorite of mine.

We have tickets to the Feb. 4 show here in Chicago, huzzah, huzzah!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
A very pleasant Christmas was spent at home as our sweet Kylie recovered.  We started off the day strong with gingerbread pancakes (yum!) for brunch. For dinner I cooked up what must be one of the healthiest Christmas feasts on record -- curried vegetable and chickpea stew (sans the cauliflower) with whole wheat couscous and goat cheese and leek focaccia
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Not the most flattering photo of me, but I do want to share the scarf and slouchy beret I knit for my mum for Christmas.
Pattern: Star Crossed Slouchy Beret, by Natalie Larson (free!)
Yarn: The Plucky Knitter Merino Worsted, "Golightly," .7 skein
Needles: Clover US 9 and 10.5 16" bamboo circs and DPNs
Notes:
My mom's favorite color is aqua, and this yarn is so pretty and soft!  It's just variegated enough to be interesting, and it's just as soft and cushy as Malabrigo Merino Worsted. This hat pattern is a delight to knit.  It's the second one I've knit, and it's most definitely not the last (especially since I'd really like one for myself!).

Pattern: Chunky Ribs & Ruffles Scarf, by Nancy Kleiber (free!)
Yarn: The Plucky Knitter Merino Worsted, "Golightly," 1.3 skeins
Needles: Clover US 10 bamboo straights
Notes:
I  cast on 124 stitches since I was working with a lighter-weight yarn than the Misti Alpaca Chunky specified in the pattern. Just fyi, the pattern repeat = (multiple of 4) + 3.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm totally hooked on Freaks and Geeks, courtesy of the marathon on IFC over Christmas weekend.


What a great show!  I didn't really appreciate it when it was new, even though a friend was very into it at the time. James Franco, Seth Rogan, Jason Segel, and John Francis Daley all in one show? John Francis Daley, the shrimpy little brother, looked so familiar to me, but I just couldn't place him for a while.  Then it dawned on me... he's Lance Sweets on Bones now! Linda Cardellini is convincing as the former mathlete turned "freak." The only downside is that the adults are all a little wooden and not very finely drawn.

Anyway, I love the show -- it's less melodramatically angsty than My So-Called Life, and it captures just how awkward and painful high school can be, but also how it can be exciting and full of new experiences. Some of the geek storylines can be too painful for me -- I find myself cringing in the most visceral way. So far my favorite episodes are the keg party and the fake IDs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy 2011 to all! Here's to a fresh start.

20 comments:

barefootrooster said...

hmmm, can i have a heated rooster bed? that would be amazing. glad to hear kylie is improving. thanks for the links, and i love the bright aqua set for your mom! (also, OMG, lance sweets as a youngster? love it.)

Anonymous said...

Could anything be cuter than those kitties? I don't think so!

kim said...

The Decemberists, huh? Well, I'll think of you when I'm at Disney on Ice... I had no idea all of those people were in Freaks and Geeks. I remember watching it, but I didn't piece it all together until you pointed it out. Seth Rogan, hee, hee... PS> I think I know a chilly, little Yorkie who would love a heated bed.

Samantha said...

I'm glad that Kylie is able to get around better!

Samantha said...

PS. That is the healthiest Christmas feast I've ever heard of! But it sounds yummy, from brunch to dinner.

Rue said...

That is one adorable kitty bed! It's right up there with Nayyir snuggling up with his stuffed moose and beaver.

I'll be your mom loves her gifts - they look great!

Gigi said...

Once again, you prove to be the most in the know girl - a heated cat bed -- who knew (besides you ;)!? I must get one (or 3) for my kitties -- they'd love it.
And what a pretty scarf and hat -- bet your mom loved them!
GG

Unknown said...

Love your beret! The color is beautiful. I knit this one not too long ago and really love the way it slouches! Nice job! Happy New Year!

Caffeine Girl said...

Very sweet hat!

I loved F&G when it was on TV and I'm still devastated by how short its run was. I miss Lindsey!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! How did you like the soup? I hope it lived up to the glowing recommendation I gave it a few weeks ago. And Freaks and Geeks? Love!

elizabeth said...

Wonder if they make those cat beds in my size! :o) Glad your kitty's better!

Chris said...

Yay for Kylie being better!!

Katie M. said...

Happy kitties! Glad Kylie is doing better ... and yay for a healthy Christmas feast! Lovely set for your mom, too. And thanks for the reminder to watch more Freaks and Geeks. (I cringe right along with you.)

Unknown said...

Loved the Decemberists. My husband heard me listening and he really liked them too. Thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

Popping in late, but I'm so pleased your sweet Kylie is doing better. Your mom will love her gift because it's beautiful and because you made it.

knitseashore said...

Happy New Year! I'm so glad to hear Kyle is recovering. It's so hard when your cats get sick! I need one of those heated cat beds for myself!

peaknits said...

Those cats are freaking adorable crammed in there. My two cats have been roommates for 16 years and while they tolerate one another - I don't even think a heated bed could get hem to cuddle:) Freaks and Geeks - omg, I loved that show and didn't realize how many rockstars was on it!

Kara said...

LOVE freaks and geeks. It is one of those shows that got cancelled way to early.

And your knits are darling!

Michael Wurm Jr said...

lovely kitties sleeping together! mine do it all the time. so sweet!!

marycatharine said...

I know they are a gift but that hat and scarf look great on you.

My mom plays Freaks and Geeks for her high-school students if they don't drive her crazy. I think your kitties have the right idea, my bf has an electric blanket on a timer I've been known to beg to watch tv in bed when it's really cold.