Friday, April 09, 2010

something old, something new...

something old

I dug Liesl out of the dark corner where she had been hibernating, and knit the sleeves last week! What's left to do now is reinforce the neckline with single crochet, which actually has me a bit nervous. I may rip out the body's hem and add the last 2/3 ball of yarn after I finish the crochet reinforcement. A little extra length might be nice, but we'll see... just finishing this up may prove miraculous enough! It has been on the needles for something like 2 years. The yarn is Debbie Bliss' Alpaca Silk Aran, which makes me a bit itchy and sneezy (sigh), but it's so pretty that I will make it work (a la Tim Gunn).
--------------------------------------
something new

I had fallen off the wagon a bit with the 10 Shawls in 2010 challenge. There's nothing like a KAL to make me want to head off in a completely different direction! Those minor rebellions...

Anyway, I'm working on a new shawlette pattern, Verdaia, and I'm just loving it.
The yarn is Knit Picks Gloss Sock in the (sadly discontinued) Pumpkin colorway. The pattern is intuitive, and the charts are very clear. I didn't love the cast-on method, I will admit. I'm doing 3 repeats of Chart 2 rather than 2. This time I actually have plenty of extra yarn, so there's no chance of running out! The pattern requires some pretty serious blocking, so in the end it should look much less ribbed and smooshed.
--------------------------------------
something both new and blue

We're moving next month, and I'm ever so excited! We're bidding adieu to Lakeview after five great years and heading to Ravenswood Manor, a charming neighborhood along the North Branch of the Chicago River. It's close to Lincoln Square, the most "Wisconsin" part of Chicago, complete with German bars, Gene's Sausage Shop, the Old Town School of Folk Music, coffeeshops, all sorts of good things.

Our new living room:
I'm busy contemplating paint colors for other rooms, though we're keeping the light blue in the living room, of course, because blue is the best color. ;-)

18 comments:

Hilary said...

Both Liesl and your new living room look very, very pretty!

Chris said...

I've managed respectable single crochet before - you can do it!

I love your new living room - it looks like a fabulous place!

Caffeine Girl said...

Your new place looks gorgeous. The walls and floors together are stunning!

Liesl is also lovely. Good luck with the crochet; I haven't had to do it yet.

caitlyn said...

Congrats on finishing up Liesl!
Your new living room is awesome! Love that natural light.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Yes, blue is the best color!

Your Liesel is pretty. And the best part of a top down cardi is that you can adjust the length so easily! I did this with my FLS.

Diana said...

Does the tv come with the place, too??

peaknits said...

What a gorgeous new spot to live!! That shawl has me curious - I have been admiring this pattern on Rav. Good luck with the Liesl - imagine how good it will feel to be done:)

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yeah, thanks for reminding me about the shawl challenge that I was SOO gung ho for! Need to get on that, it would appear:)

Doing the crocheted edge on Liesl is a great idea, wish I would've thought of that!

La Cabeza Grande said...

I remember Liesl! Nice to see the little sweater come to the finish line.

I, too, loved Lakeview (East Lakeview was home for half my life). Your new home is fabulous, though. A very good friend of mine lives in the vicinity. Bur sure to check out Merz Apothecary on Lincoln.

Oh yes. Blue rules!

Gigi said...

Love your Liesl -- gorgeous color! And your upcoming move sounds exciting -- especially the beer and sausage part ;-). My dh is from the Chicago area, and his family is German. I'd love to visit there some day.
Blessings,
G

kim said...

Congratulations on your new move! Lovely knits. Don't fear the crochet around the neck. It's not that bad.

Shan said...

Lovely living room...is that morning sun, or afternoon?

Katie M. said...

Yay for almost finishing! Your new living room looks amazing.

Mia said...

Hopefully Liesel will feel better after a good washing. But it would not be nice to wear if it is making you sneeze and scratchy.

The new place looks lovely. The fireplace needs a chair near by to sit and knit and read.

And although I didn't formally take the 10 shawls in 2010 pledge, I am working on 3 right now. If you want one that is mindless, look at Boneyard. It is great for using up stash yarn.

Mia said...

Hopefully Liesel will feel better after a good washing. But it would not be nice to wear if it is making you sneeze and scratchy.

The new place looks lovely. The fireplace needs a chair near by to sit and knit and read.

And although I didn't formally take the 10 shawls in 2010 pledge, I am working on 3 right now. If you want one that is mindless, look at Boneyard. It is great for using up stash yarn.

Sharon said...

Congratulations on the move. Your new place looks lovely. BTW, I'm a Project Runway fan too - went to Mood when we were in NYC. Thank you Mood!

knitseashore said...

Congratulations! Your new place has lots of pretty light with the blue walls, and a fireplace is so important. Enjoy!!

Bobbi said...

Hmmm...I have some empty boxes! ;-)