Monday, June 22, 2009

summertime blues

Some people like knitting socks in the summer since they're so lightweight and portable. Other people prefer lightweight summer tops. Not me -- I'm more of a lace-knitting girl once the temperature goes above 80.* I'm working on a Checkerboard Lace Scarf, a free pattern from the Purl Bee:The yarn is Malabrigo sock in Cote d'Azure. It's lovely to work with, has a gorgeous sheen, and the dark blues are very rich. I'm not sure I'd actually use it for socks.

I made good progress on this scarf while watching The Dark Knight. The best part was seeing Chicago in the film; I'm afraid that it was a bit too yucky for me. I could barely stand to look at either the Joker or Harvey Dent, and spent much of the movie with my eyes glued firmly on my knitting, waiting for Paul to tell me it was safe to look up again. The plot seemed convoluted and awfully long, too, but that may be because I kept glancing away!
------------------------------
Also in the works...
Paul and I are planning a trip to Portland, Oregon for the end of July. Anyone have any suggestions for Portland favorites? Microbreweries, wineries, yarn shops, gardens, hiking trails, coffeeshops...
------------------------------
I'm also working on a Sage Remedy Top; I do have a few qualms about this one. This may not be terribly flattering, but I love the feather and fan detail at the neckline. It's very possible it may end up looking like a maternity top. I skipped the ribbing on the bottom and worked a garter edge instead to prevent rolling. I'm using Lorna's Laces Fishermen wool in "denim," which looks much nicer (and less variegated) in real life than in the photo.
------------------------------
* How's that for a priamel? Here's my favorite priamel, from Sappho 16:

Some men say an army of horse and some men say an army on foot
and some men say an army of ships is the most beautiful thing
on the black earth. But I say it is
what you love.

-- Trans. Anne Carson, If Not, Winter: Fragments of Sappho

No comments: