Saturday, April 28, 2007

happiness saturday

1. The letters F and O
Many hours of weaving in ends, i-cord making, and seaming later...
Baby Yoda Sweater
Project Details:
Pattern: Baby Yoda Sweater, by Cari from Dogs Steal Yarn (free!)
Needles: Clover US 7 bamboo circular, Clover US 6 dpns for the i-cords
Yarn: Bernat Cottontots, color # 90615 "sunshine," worsted weight, approx. 2 skeins (I used partial skeins in my stash that were left over from a baby blanket, so I'm not quite sure)
Dates: 4/22/07 - 4/28/07

Notes and Modifications:
The pattern calls for smaller needles and a tighter gauge. The cotton yarn is so inelastic and hard on my wrists and hands that I had to use a looser gauge. The seams are bulky. If I knit this again, I'll figure out how to do it in the round. I would use a more elastic yarn.

Attaching the i-cord ties was a bit of a pain, and I would recommend not using contrasting ties (just to simplify weaving in ends and sewing). For a girl's version I might use ribbon instead of i-cord. If you want some contrast, it would be cute to knit contrasting cuffs and hem and maybe collar rather than the ties.

The sleeves taper to the cuff; next time I would cut down on the tapering. Elizabeth Zimmermann notes that babies' and children's are practically the same circumference all the way down.

2. A new smoothie recipe
I drink a lot of smoothies in the spring and summer, especially when it's too hot to cook. Smoothie + hummus + pita = instant, easy meal. It even covers most of the food groups!

Usually I gather up whatever frozen berries I have, add vanilla or fruit yogurt, and whatever juice is around. This morning I came up with a delicious new concoction.

Tropical Smoothie
Serves 2

1 carton Stoneyfield Farm fat-free vanilla yogurt (6 oz)
1 mango, cut up (I used the champagne variety, but I'm sure regular would be good)
3/4 - 1 C. frozen raspberries
1/4 - 1/3 C. pineapple juice
1/4 - 1/3 C. light coconut milk

Blend!
The secret is the coconut milk. I often have coconut milk leftover from Thai recipes, and I never know what to do with it.

3. Kylie Cat striking a curious pose

4. This marvelous model of Bag End
I don't usually go in for miniatures or doll houses, but this is truly amazing.

11 comments:

Micki said...

The Yoda sweater is adorable! Well done slogging through the cotton yarn.

Your smoothie recipe sounds delish! It's already quite warm where I live--perfect smoothie weather.

Karin said...

Wow, that smoothie....I gotta try that.

Cute sweater!

Chris said...

It's very cute!! It definitely looks like you could get ride of a few seams - I always try to do that, too. :)

~Kristie said...

Can I just ooh and aah over that cute sweater? It's precious!

Jana said...

That model is insane! I really like the baby yoda sweater, I'm always concerned about baby sweaters because babies have really big heads, but the wrap design really solves a lot of that problem. I might have to try that one next time I know someone is expecting...

Sharon said...

Hmm, coconut milk. I would never have thought of that. When I was finishing my last semester, I lived on smoothies, mostly consumed in the car en route to something. I often added tofu, just because I thought I needed it. It doesn't have any flavor of it's own so the only change was texture. Hmmm, now that you make me think of it, given my time on the road, I probably need to get back into the smoothie habit. Thanks!

Diane said...

the sweater is so cute!n i agree, cotton is not very easy to knit, however, the results look great!

Leah said...

I love that yoda sweater!!!
I've been making a cotton shrug & I am with you on the inelasticity and how hard it can be to work with. I'm so over it at this point!

That model is INSANE! Very, very cool stuff!!

Christy said...

Very cute. Have you tried to press the seams down with an iron? I had some bulky seams on my Baby Bolero and that flattened them right out....much less bulky

La Cabeza Grande said...

Love your rendition of Yoda sweater. I may have to try it too (but circular, as you suggest).

And I'm all about the smoothies. Thanks for the recipe. I just happen to have some plain yogurt, mango and coconut milk on hand.

Rebecca said...

wow, look at that! i hate making i-cords. thanks for the smoothie recipe, it sounds marvelous!