Thursday, August 24, 2006

Coffee Talk


I am a self-professed coffee addict... perhaps the term "coffee lover" puts a better spin on it? Unlike most java fiends, I like a light/medium roast, with plenty of milk and sugar. I really love my coffee, I just like it my way.

I bought this Raven's Brew coffee at Whole Foods based wholly on its name -- Misty Fjords. I'm a blue-eyed, blond-haired Scandinavian-American from Minnesota, so the whole fjords thing just drew me in. Plus Norway's fjords are some of my favorite places in the world (along with Glacier National Park in Montana). Remember the accolades won for the fjords in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

So what does this coffee have to do with the fjords? Nothing. The beans are clearly not grown in Scandinavia, and they were roasted in Alaska. The coffee beans seem to have retained more of their natural oils and flavor, but it's not my favorite brew. A little too dark and earthy for me, with some floral notes.

My best friend introduced me to Green Mountain Coffee a few years ago while she was living in Connecticut, and I love their breakfast blends and many of their flavored coffees. It's damn near impossible to find GMC in Chicago, though, and I hate to pay shipping fees just for coffee. I just heard, however, that the Wild Oats up in Evanston carries some GMC! Time for a field trip to the suburbs. I'll try to visit the Cottage Living idea home in Evanston, too.


The yellow baby blanket continues to grow. It's just so darn wide! I want it to form a nicely-proportioned rectangle, so I'll just keep working on it. I added about 1-1/3 balls of yarn to it over the weekend on my trip to Ohio. These are not unsubstantial balls of yarn: 171 yards/ball. I'm now partway through my 4th ball, I think (it may be the 5th).

I didn't read very much because there was great music and lots of conversation for much of the car trip. I'm about 300 pages into Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Clarke's style is very engaging. I would describe the tone as tongue-in-cheek scholarly. The footnotes are fabulous; not only do they give background to the story, but they are also very humorous. If you're looking for plot and action, this is not the book for you. Also, if you are turned off by magic and fairies when they are not in sugar-coated form, you probably won't enjoy it either. It's all about the style, baby. Style = substance????

Nothing has been accomplished on the 4 Seasons cross-stitch project. I think it's time to find another needlework project that is more interesting. I was trying to de-stash, but this may not be the best time for that. Please, Wyndham Needleworks, send me my order soon.

No comments: