Monday, December 18, 2006

red skye at night

Here's a Skye Cap on the needles. I'm using Plymouth Suri Merino again, and the color is rich and beautiful, a bright cherry or ruby red color, with not a hint of orange to it. I'll have to get a picture of the finished hat in the daylight. There's an inset lace panel just above the ribbing. Apparently my counting skills have declined since my kindergarten days, since I had some trouble with the lace pattern. I can't bring myself to rip it back to fix a couple mistakes, but I might knit another one to master the pattern.

I picked up a little early Christmas present for myself the other day. I found a great deal on this baby. My grandmother had a red set of Le Creuset cookware; my aunt still uses it.

Today's recipe is Paul's favorite. He's always in charge of dipping the truffles. They may not be the most decorative cookies, but they are absolutely delicious.


Cookies & Cream Truffles

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

4 C. chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos), crushed

12 oz. almond bark/ white candy coating (* you may substitute 2 C. white chocolate chips + 1 T. shortening)

Beat cream cheese with a mixer until fluffy; blend in crushed cookies. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Roll dough into one-inch balls. Melt almond bark in a double boiler or a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Dip balls into mixture to coat. Place on wax paper to set; store in refrigerator. Makes 2-1/2 dozen.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've coveted a Le Creuset pot for ages - they're so nice.

Thanks for all the great recipes, by the way. I can't wait to make the hazelnut macaroons.

Jana said...

Congratulations on the Le Creuset! You are so lucky, one of these days I want one too. Sur la Table has these little mini ones right now in all the different shapes (pumpkin, tomato, garlic) for like $20. I got one as a gift for someone this year, they are absolutely adorable!

Anonymous said...

Is that a 5 qt Le Creuset? I really need one in that size and I am unsure if I want enameled or untouched CI. I have a Staub enameled 8 qt (Which I could probably cook an entire pig in it's so large) and a smaller generic brand uncoated that's about 3 qt. I'm also coveting a skillet! Cast iron is really fantastic and if this is your first piece, I do hope you love it!

Those truffles with the oreos, I think I had those before or something similar and they were really good! I have a recipe for peanut butter cup chocolate chip cookies I will have to post soon, although I admit I didn't do any baking this year.

Anonymous said...

I love Le Creuset!!! I have the grill pan in green, a 5 quart pan in blue, and a few of the baking dishes. I also have the same red container that you do. I am lucky enough to live near the outlet. I don't mind if the color isn't quite right.

I seriously want another pan like your's just a bit bigger though. I will have to let you know the next time I go to the outlet. They sometimes have items there that aren't available anywhere else.

Anonymous said...

I love my le creuset! I've only got one (5qt) but it's amazing! I long for a set!!! :)

OK, the truffles sound fantastic! YUM!

Calling on Kahlo said...

I love Le Creuset, however a little annoying to clean. I found great pieces at Homegoods.

Anonymous said...

these sounds delicious, and look at your gorgeous pot!!