Friday, December 15, 2006

a cookie a day

I'm going to post a cookie recipe each day between now and Christmas! I'm hosting a baking extravaganza at my apt. on Sunday. I've been digging into my recipe box and cookbooks (especially my late grandmother's annotated church cookbooks), and I've been emailing my mom for some favorite recipes.

This recipe is a traditional German favorite: Pfefferneuse ("Peppernuts"). My family's version is rather unique, I think, in that they're rolled out and frosted rather than formed into balls and dusted with powdered sugar. Also, they have no oil or butter in them. If you use butter in your powdered sugar frosting, that will contribute some fat. The frosting softens these cookies up. I usually store them in tins.

Pfeffernuesse

3 beaten eggs
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp soda in ¼ cup hot water
1 tbsp cloves
2 tbsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 cups flour or until stiff

Mix all ingredients together. Roll out on floured board and cut into wreaths. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Frost with a powdered sugar frosting and decorate with green sprinkles and red cinnamon candies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! I'm a huge christmas cookie fan & these sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing!!!