Wednesday, December 27, 2006

biding my time in minnesota, still sadly snowless

Happy Holidays to all

Christmas was filled with merriment, Scrabble, books, and way too many cookies. The only thing missing was knitting-related. Next year I need to point Santa towards this list over at the Yarn Harlot.

I started Wavy yesterday, using red Plymouth Suri Merino. I'm not sure that this pattern is truly yarn-worthy. It's a bit tedious -- just knit and purl, but it involves constant row-counting and pattern checking. It may be headed for the frogpond. I would like to find a slightly lacy pattern to coordinate this scarf with the red hat I made last week, not the one in the pic below, but the one from a few posts ago.

A completed Lace-Edged Women's Hat in size large, which is quite big indeed. It may be destined to grace my mother's generously-proportioned noggin.

The beginnings of a Marsan Watchcap, about to enter the frogpond.
I don't have enough of this hand-me-down mystery yarn to finish it, plus I don't like how the variegations are turning out, and the texture is rather rough. All those twisted stitches have been a little rough on the hands and wrists with this yarn.

Kylie Cat just loved all the preparations for Christmas, as well as the fleece catnip mice and paper shopping bags that Santa left for her.

I paid a visit to Needlework Unlimited on Dec. 24, and it was hopping! Who would have suspected that so many knitters would be trolling the LYS? What a great yarn store. There's a huge variety here -- solid-color workhorse basics, luxurious hand-dyed yarn, delicate laceweight, etc. They carry tons of patterns. None of the Chicago knitting stores have the amazing variety and range that this place does. I came away with some Jaggerspun Zephyr laceweight, some Cashsoft for a hat, and Jamieson's for those Squirrelly Swedish Mittens that have been on my to-knit list for quite some time.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi! - We were snowless in Syracuse for Christmas as well. There are a few flurries in the airbut not anything that is going to stick. Pooey!Hope you had a nice holiday just the same. - Susan

Anonymous said...

That is nice you got to hit up a yarn store! Hope you got lots of great goodies for Christmas and are having fun with your family.

babette said...

Oh, don't give up on Wavy. It really is quite nice and warm when done, even though it is plain...all the little *waves* trap in the warmth! I made one in Kureyon and am contemplating making another in something softer.

Anonymous said...

The picture of the plants is gorgeous. Christmas is such a great time for beautiful flowers.

Looks like you've been getting quite a bit of knitting done. I really like the scarf, even if it is plain. I bet it will look wonderful when worn by someone.

Alas, I did not get to see any snow while in Chicago or other parts of northern IL. And all we're going to be getting where I live is lots of rain. Thinking about moving to Denver! :-b I like the idea of being snowed in. It's been a long time since that happened!

Have a safe trip back home and hope you enjoy the rest of your visit!

SP

Anonymous said...

I agree, don't give up on Wavy!


Yes, it is a bit boring...but the final result is very nice. I made it earlier this year. It was intended to keep my husband warm during our (normally) cold Chicago winters...but it's become one of MY favorite scarves.

I'm not complaining about our unusually warm Chicago weather...but it will be nice to bundle up in some handknits when the Mother Nature adjusts our temperature!

peaknits said...

Thank you for your thoughts on my mittens dilemma, I will take your advice on the Manos - I may have to look up some of that Lorna's:) I love finding new things... I also love your lace edged hat - gorgeous! Good luck with Wavy, those "tedious" projects can get long sometimes - it is really cool looking so far though!

Anonymous said...

I saw your wavy scarf and thought "Hey! What is my unfinished wavy scarf doing on someone else's blog?" Seriously, mine looks almost exactly the same as yours. :) Different yarn, but you can't tell that from the photos.