Wednesday, December 13, 2006

decking the halls

I whipped up this cute little Korknisse last night. Ellie mentioned that she would like to knit up a whole army of them; I think I would be hampered by a lack of corks. I've been reverting to my old favorites lately, the gin & tonic, 7 & 7, vodka tonic, and vodka cranberry, so we don't have any wine corks to spare! I don't think you could make as cute an ornament with the metal cap from a bottle of Stoli. This little guy is heading out to my buddy in the Knit the Classics holiday ornament swap.

Speaking of the KTC holiday ornament swap, look at what arrived here yesterday. So, so cute, and so, so tiny! Thanks, Kristen! She also sent along some yummy dark chocolate (mmm) and a book, Skipping Christmas. Here are a couple more of my contributions for ornament swaps:


I'm knitting up a quick and easy broken rib scarf as a Christmas gift. I'm using some Noro Cash Iroha from my stash, and I'm not too impressed so far. It has some odd slubs in it, and it's not as soft as my favorite Malabrigo. Oh well, perhaps it will bloom after a nice bath. It coordinates nicely with one of my favorite African violets.

I tried using this yarn for two other patterns. First I attempted the Bejeweled scarf by Shobhana. Lolly mentioned it in her blog a few days ago and is hosting an informal knitalong. Well, apparently I just can't read a pattern. I think I keep messing up the psso. Next I tried the Toasty Twisty pattern, and I couldn't do the darn right twist. Apparently it was not my night for trying new things in the knitting realm.

Back on the subject of plants, I think it's time for me to admit defeat and get rid of a few. I have a soft spot in my heart for living things, and I tend to take my friends' unwanted and unloved plants off their hands. You know what? I don't want or love most of them either, even when I've nurtured them back to health!

4 comments:

Karin said...

I can't keep a plant alive to save my life. One of my friends even bought me a plant that needs minimal care and light, and it still died. Oh well.

That cork ornament is too cute! I love 7&7s too. Haven't had one in quite some time.

Anonymous said...

I love the ornaments. They are a perfect excuse to drink wine! I am guessing that they will work with the plastic corks that are in wine bottles now. And I love gin and tonic but I prefer my raspberry vodka and 7-Up.

Anonymous said...

Cool ornaments - now I feel badly because I have not knit any yet - I guess I better get busy!

Karyn said...

I love those little mitten ornaments...so cute! You visited my blog and asked about my dark grey mitts. I used Patons Shetland Chunky yarn and the basic mitten pattern from Ann Budd's Handy book of Patterns. They were a very quick knit!