Friday, December 15, 2006

Miles to go

Mia referred to a poem by Carl Sandburg that really affected me when I first read it: "Fog." Creative use of figurative language draws me to literature. It's one of my favorite things to think about as I read. Anyway, I thought I would share a winter poem today.
Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Miles to go... I can relate to that, especially today. There's a mountain of tasks to accomplish, some fun, some not-so-fun: wrapping, decorating, cleaning, organizing, marketing, and going to the dreaded post office.

Last night I went to Chicago's annual Christkindlmarket with Paul and friends. We enjoyed some gluehwein (spiced, mulled wine) and potato pancakes with applesauce and sour cream. The sweet shop is definitely the best of the stands there; it's really more of a global market since there are stands selling sweaters from South America and the like. I picked up a cute little straw mobile for my dining room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's such a beautiful poem. I love the phrase "These woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep."

I've only been to a Christkindlmarkets in Holland and Germany, how nice it must be to get to go to one here!

Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorites from Robert Frost. I will be getting in touch with you about your prize over the weekend.