Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Only time will tell...

if I have enough yarn to bind off the baby bolero from One Skein.

I'm using Blue Sky Alpacas organic cotton in "nut." This cotton is actually quite easy on my hands and wrists; too bad it's a bit expensive. This is one of the natural, undyed colors. I ordered it off the internets, and the color seemed OK at first. As time went on, the color began to remind of the following:

- my couch
- paper grocery bags
- my Chevy Malibu
- the Ski Queen Gjetost (Norwegian goat cheese) that I grew up eating. Note its lovely tan color:
Sigh... I'll pick a prettier color next time.

My trip to the forest preserve went well. We had a fabulous picnic, complete with homemade olive tapenade, goat cheese, Bake Sale Brownies from the Test Kitchen cookbook (not so great -- go with the Land O Lakes recipe instead), and a delicious Sauvignon Blanc. We ran into a coyote by our picnic site, then went on a lovely 8-mile hike that was occasionally interrupted by mountain bikers. The trails were pretty narrow, so we did a lot of hopping into the bushes.

Apparently the buzz is beginning for the film adaptation of The Golden Compass. I enjoyed the first book in the series, probably in large part due to the classical references. The other two turned me off as they became increasingly religious. When I was a kid I really liked one of Pullman's earlier books -- The Ruby in the Smoke. Did anybody else read that one? Pullman has a very distinctive style.

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Amy made a baby sweater from that yarn and it turned out great. She had so much leftover that I bought it from her to make one too, only there was so much that I've got it on needles as a vest for me. I'm stalled with the reality that I don't wear vests - will probably frog it for a baby sweater. I'm anxious to see what you're doing with it.

Micki said...

Aw, the baby sweater is cute! I think the color is just fine.

There was an adaptation of The Ruby in the Smoke on Masterpiece Theatre a month or two ago. It's been quite a while since I read the book, so I can't comment intelligently about how faithful the film version was.

Jana said...

Hmm. I have some of that yarn left over from when I made the Baby Bobbi Bear. I'm sure I have a little over a skein. I might have to try that pattern after all. Might as well use the book since I have it and just sit and drool on it most of the time...

DAWN said...

the Bolero is looking good and would you believe that is my FAVORITE cheese, ever!!

Rebecca said...

oh yummy. i love that Blue Sky Alpacas organic. i haven't bought any because of the price, too.

melissa said...

that cheese looks like a block of clay! scary! but i like the color of your yarn a lot.

Chris said...

I hope you have enough! I made that sweater and I remember having plenty left over - not LOTS, but definitely enough. And I actually like that color - it's nice to see baby things in non-pastel, non-rainbow colors.

Beth said...

I found your blog by checking out the participant list of SP10. You have a lovely blog and very cute kitties.
I read His Dark Materials as an adult and loved them. My sons aren't the least bit interested in them. The movie sounds promising - we'll have to see.
I'll be sure to check out The Ruby in the Smoke.

Knittymuggins said...

Hi Jodi! I just wanted to thank you for the sweet comment you left on the gnome swap site for me (about my knee). Thanks so much! I also thought I'd tag you for the 7 random facts meme that's been going around the blog world the past few days. You can read my answers and the rules on my blog (knittymuggins.wordpress.com) and I'll check back for your answers if you feel like playing too. No pressure though - if you don't want to, that's cool! Thanks again for your nice comment :) Have a great day!

nicole said...

I agree with Chris, it's nice to see baby clothes in more natural colours. I know it will look gorgeous.

I've never seen cheese that colour (maybe it's just my screen) but I love goat cheese so I'd be really curious to try it.

Diane said...

I haven't had that cheese in years...I am craving ... yummy

Leah said...

I love that cheese!!!

Your baby sweater looks great so far!