Thursday, November 09, 2006

something felted this way comes

I "felted up" two Booga Bags on Tuesday night. They are happily drying away near the radiator. On the subject of radiators, it has been unseasonably warm here in Chicago. I rarely check the weather reports, so I was in for quite the surprise yesterday. I bundled up in a wonderfully soft hooded lambswool/ angora/ alpaca/ cashmere blend sweater for a 65 degree day! To make matters worse, the radiator in my office was going full blast all day, creating quite the steamy atmosphere.

Have you heard what month it is?
It's Norovember! Check out the informal knitalong here.




In the spirit of the season, I'm flashing my Noro stash. I cleaned up big time in some closeouts at WEBS. There are a few Noro projects slated for the months ahead, but not all of the yarn has a project yet:

- Pie Knits' Grape Hyacinth Lace Scarf. Thanks again for the pattern, secret pal!
- Mitred mittens from EZ's Knitters Almanac
- one skein Silk Garden beanie
- another MD scarf
- Kureyon striped tea cozy. I can't let my tea get cold while I'm making my way through that tea stash this winter.

This Lady Eleanor is the most beautiful Noro project that I have seen lately. Simply gorgeous! It looks cozy, substantial, and luxurious.

In other knitting news, the long-awaited and much-anticipated Malabrigo shipment was a bust. Apparently Cuarzo is not the color for me. It reminds me of unicorns, My Little Ponies, and Barbie dolls, a chapter of my life I left behind long ago.










I learned two things:

1) The knitting gods must be conspiring against me.

2) There's a reason why I almost always choose blue.

7 comments:

Karin said...

Oh. My. God.

The Noro! It is everywhere! Did I die and go to heaven?

I am sorry you don't like the Malabrigo! I dunno, I kind of like it! Of course the camera may be playing tricks.

Any word on if we will be attending the workshop yet? I am really looking forward to our trip, I haven't been up to Madison in years and the other times I visited it (I almost took a job up there but did not after I realized I'd have to commute between Chicago and Madison for 3 months and, oh yeah, I don't have a car, nor the money for one) I really loved the city.

Leah said...

WOW!! That is a serious Noro stash!! All the projects you have planned out sound great!

That sucks about your malabrigo. I'm with Karin & I like the color but ultimately it's up to you.

So, are you going to chose a different color?

Mia said...

I love the Noro. I love Silk Garden too. Is all of the NOro in your stash Silk Garden? Or do you have some other Noro yarns in there?

No one around me carries Malabrigo so I am curious about it. Purple is a great color unless it is the wrong shade of purple.

Jodi said...

The Malabrigo color looks better in the picture than in real life, I think. It just seems too pink. It's not what I was expecting -- lavender shading into darker purples (with a more blue-ish tone).

I'm planning to order a different color: violetas, indigo, or burgundy. Malabrigo is just so soft and lovely to work with. I know it will pill, but I think I can live with it. Now if I can find a really good deal on Cash Iroha, I may go with that instead.

The Noro stash has 3 different colorways of Silk Garden, 3 of Kureyon, and 2 of Cash Iroha. Webs really has had some great deals on Noro lately.

Anonymous said...

You're so welcome! I can't wait to see the scarf you knit with it. I'm hoping to get some Silk Garden soon so I can make my own.

I love hearing about Chicago. I lived in the burbs for several years and I really do miss the city (although I don't know if I'd willingly move back at this point in my life.) I enjoy visiting when I can. I never got to the Vic for movies but I think it was there that I saw They Might Be Giants. That was a great concert! I think my favorite part of the city (besides Wrigley Field. Yes, I'm a die-hard Cubs fan), is the lake front. I always get a big kick out of driving along Lake Shore Drive in any season. And I could go for a slice of Eduardo's stuffed pizza. That's what pizza should be!

SP

Jodi said...

Hi SP,

Mmmm... Chicago-style pizza. I actually prefer Lou Malnati's to Edwardo's, but to each her own.

I'm happy to be in Chicago for now, but I wouldn't want to live here forever (unless I were really, really wealthy and had a driver). I live about 2 blocks from Wrigley Field. The neighborhood is always lively, and there's plenty do do within walking distance. I park my car on the street, so this is important! I avoid driving places on weekend nights b/c the parking around here is dreadful.

I lived on the south side near my university for a couple years, and that was enough. It was convenient to be close to school, but I like the vibe of the Lakeview neighborhood much better.

By the time I'm done with my PhD I'll be pretty happy to move to a place where we can buy a house, have a dog, and enjoy nature more. There are a number of hobbies that I've given up while living here in Chicago -- hiking, biking, camping, winter sports, etc. It's possible to do some of those things here, but it takes a good amount of time and real commitment.

The lakefront is a gem, as is Lincoln Park (the park proper); I don't think living in Chicago would be nearly as nice without it.

I really haven't spent much time in the suburbs. I've heard how lovely Geneva is, and there is a great feature on winter activities and shopping in the 'burbs in the latest issue of Midwest Living.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the Noro!