Friday, November 10, 2006

shopping in my own bookstore

Michelle at Overdue Books has conceived of a brilliant plan for this winter: the From the Stacks Winter Reading Challenge.
Here's the plan:

If you are anything like me your stack of purchased to-be-read books is teetering over. So for this challenge we would be reading 5 books that we have already purchased, have been meaning to get to, have been sitting on the nightstand and haven't read before. No going out and buying new books. No getting sidetracked by the lure of the holiday bookstore displays.

The bonus would be that we would finally get to some of those titles (you know you picked them for a reason!) and we wouldn't be spending any extra money over the holidays.

The time frame would be Nov. 1st until Jan. 30.

This is a great way to motivate me to read a number of books that I have purchased and then left to linger and collect dust on my bookcases. It's also very economical! Here's my list:
1. The Mill on the Floss, George Eliot
2. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers
3. Vanity Fair, William Makepeace Thackeray
4. Memoirs of Hadrian, Marguerite Yourcenar
5. Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides

Kylie Cat thinks it a marvelous scheme, for she is a very literary feline, naturally.

7 comments:

Karin said...

Oohh I like this idea. I have heard good things about Middlesex and Lonely Hunter. I have some books I've been meaning to get around to myself, school makes it hard!

Sarah said...

I am a member of Paperback swap and have over 40 books waiting for me to read! Eek! And sadly reading is the last thing I can do because I have Bell's Palsy, need to have an eye patch on and reading one eyed hurts my head. I swear I'll never get to the bottom of my book pile now! This is a neat idea though.

Leah said...

What a great idea!! I too have a stack that I've been meaning to read. Maybe I'll follow your queue!

I loved middlesex! It's a fantastic read!

michelle said...

Joid - Great site. Glad you could join us. Eliot is one of my favorite authors.

Michelle
Overdue Books

Juliet said...

What a fabulous idea - and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is one of my fave books ever, I also have Middlesex and it is a purchased-but-unread.

Anonymous said...

I finished reading Middlesex a couple of months ago. It took me awhile to really get into it, but once I did...wow! What a story! Now I'm trying to find The Virgin Suicides. Not having too much luck, which surprises me. But I have my ways! ;-o

Happy reading!

SP

teabird said...

I've been thinking of nominating Vanity Fair next time around for KTC!

melanie