Sunday, November 12, 2006

It's still No(ro)vember

but I spent last night with the Decemberists
The show was great. For those of you unfamiliar with the Decemberists, they're an indie band with a unique, melodic sound. They wield a panopoly of instruments: cello, accordian, string bass, hurdy-gurdy, in addition to the usual suspects. Lead singer Colin Meloy writes thoughtful lyrics, though he can also be very playful (e.g. "The Mariner's Revenge Song"). They played a bunch of songs off their new album, The Crane Wife, including a rousing rendition of "O, Valencia." The highlight for me, though, came near the beginning of the show: "The Engine Driver."

In addition to rockin' out with the Decemberists, I spent the weekend:
- watching disc 1 of the new Dr. Who
- listening to a lecture on Homer
- painting the bathroom light blue
- attending a conference on the Greek tragedian Euripides
- drinking Leinie's Berry Weiss (best. beer. ever.) (some may claim this is not real beer, but I beg to differ)
- watching Mean Girls
- getting caught in a deluge
- making Karin's Maple Chili Chicken (yum!)
- having my first Ho Ho Mint Mocha of the season (from Caribou Coffee)

So not much crafting took place, but my new blue bathroom looks lovely!

5 comments:

Karin said...

I'm glad you liked the maple chili chicken! I hope you have leftovers for sandwiches, I thought the flavor really stood up in sandwich form.

Is it just you and I interested in Wisconsin knitting now? If you'd rather reschedule for another weekend when more people are free that's OK--if not then it looks like there's no issue as to who will take the two workshop spots.

Calling on Kahlo said...

I am loving the Dr. Who series which DH exposed me to. We watch every friday on Sci-Fi although the new guy in Season 2 can be a little dramatic.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to buy a Decemberists CD. I really enjoyed the two songs they have on their website.

I'd love to go with you all for Wisconsin knitting, but alas, I must remain anonymous for now. Maybe I'll actually get to meet you in person someday on one of my visits to Chicago.

And have fun with your Noro stash! I've been eyeing some Silk Garden at my LSY for the scarf, but I've got other projects in the hopper right now (including something for you! How fun!) and I think the Hyacinth will have to wait until after the holidays.

SP

Leah said...

I love the decemberists!! It's fun to read about all the knit bloggers out there who have been going to their shows! :)

Don't even get me started on Doctor Who tho! I could watch every episode of the first season of the new series all day everyday. I like David Tennent as the new Doctor but I still love Chris Eccelston.

Have you seen any of the old doctor's? My DH & I love the Tom Baker episodes of the late 70's early 80's. Good stuff!

Jodi said...

Hi sp,

Thanks for the e-card. That's very cute and silly! It cheered me up while I was in the midst of grading Latin quizzes.

I'm glad to hear you're interested in the Decemberists. I really like the albums "Picaresque" and "Castaways and Cutouts." They seem almost literary, in a way. I just ordered a couple of their old CDs for my husband for his birthday. The Chicago Tribune didn't give their concert a great review, which surprised me. To each his own, I suppose.

Hmmm... you're making something for me? Sounds intriguing! I have started making Christmas ornaments, and my desk is covered with bits of felt, ribbon, and embroidery floss rather than books right now.

I wish you could come on our WI knitting adventure, too, but I suppose it's best to preserve the mystery.

BTW, I love hearing from you on my blog and getting e-cards and the like! My secret pal rarely updates her blog, so I don't know too much about what's going on with her. It makes spoiling her a little bit more difficult.

Well, I suppose I should get back to work so that I can take a break later on to watch Gilmore Girls.

Jodi