Wednesday, April 23, 2014

spring cleaning, part 4, or, scarftastic

Another project done and dusted! This spring cleaning knitalong is really paying off. I started this Wisp scarf soon after Erik was born. I've knit this pattern twice before, and it's very intuitive and easy, so it was perfect for my sleep-deprived and baby-addled brain. I dug into my precious stash of Plucky Knitter yarns.
While I loved the yarn in the skein, I'm not 100 percent thrilled about how the colors knit up. Such is the way of variegated hand-dyed yarns, I suppose. Always a roll of the dice. I, however, am not much of a gambler, which is why I've backed away from hand-dyed yarns in recent years and returned to the land of solid colors.
pattern: Wisp, by Cheryl Niamath
source: Knitty, Summer 2007
yarn: The Plucky Knitter Merino Wool Handpainted Fingering Weight, Verde Valley
needles: US 7 bamboo straights

notes:
I skipped the holes and buttons, as I intended this to be just a scarf. The single-ply merino wool is very soft and cozy -- lovely to knit.
--------------------------------------------
Happy spring from our little Easter bunny!
(Erik was a remarkably good sport about the ears.)

P.S. Speaking of bunnies, I just discovered this heirloom bunny blanket pattern on Ravelry, and I'm dying to cast on! I especially love this grey bunny blanket. Sigh, must finish a few more lingering projects first.

8 comments:

Ness said...

That is a gorgeous scarf! I love the variegation, but I can understand how you feel if it didn't turn out quite the way you wanted.

I think you should allow yourself to cast on something fun as a reward for all the finishing you've accomplished so far. :)

Tracy Altieri said...

What a darling little bunny!

Caffeine Girl said...

Cute bunny picture!

Yeah, variegation is a gamble, but I like the way your scarf turned out.

Rue said...

I hear you on the hit or miss nature of hand painted yarns. That said, your Wisp looks lovely and the pattern broke up the colors nicely.

I find myself leaning more towards semi-solids (madelinetosh is consistently good for these). And Briar Rose yarns always seem to work well for me, no matter what the pattern (full disclosure: again, I buy semi-solids from her and stay away from the more wild colorways).

Anonymous said...

I really LIKE the way your scarf turned out. I understand your concern about multi-color yarns, however; you never know what it's going to look like ahead of time.

I enjoy reading your blog very much.

Stephanie said...

I think the subtle striping from the hand-paint looks good. And, as always, Erik looks super adorable! My mother-in-law got a pair for 22 m DD and she pulled them right off! (sjn821 on Rav)

Kat said...

The scarf looks lovely! Way to go!

Hilary said...

Your scarf is so pretty! I think the lace pattern breaks up the variegated colors quite nicely, and there's something really cool going on in the sections in between (garter stitch?). Overall: super pretty. And Erik OMG. The cutest!