Friday, January 04, 2013

new year, same old tricks

So I started a little baby cardigan to use up some leftover yarn, and lo and behold, I'm running out of yarn. The yarn is Knit Picks Bare Swish Worsted (very squooshy merino, lovely creamy natural color), and the pattern's Burnett, a freebie from Berroco. The directions get a bit confusing once you get to the neck, so the pattern requires careful reading. I moved the buttonholes closer to the edge, as I’m planning to work a single crochet border around the whole shebang (once I get my hands on more yarn).
Moxie does not approve of my careless project planning! There's one New Year's crafty resolution for me -- always check yardage. Luckily it's not a precious or hard-to-find yarn.
-------------------------------------------------
Moxie really enjoyed nestling amongst the Christmas presents, as well as hunting toy mice under the tree. You can spy one more star-crossed slouchy beret in the photo above (Malabrigo in Bobby Blue) -- that makes a total of four SCSBs this Christmas!
A few years ago I knit up a few mini mittens, intending to knit many more and use them on a wreath. Yeah, they're very fiddly to knit, though quite cute, so they languished in ye olde knitting basket. I finally affixed them to a wreath, along with some owl ribbon from World Market. Perhaps I can add a mitten or two each year?

8 comments:

Carrie K said...

I dread running out of yarn. Of course I never finish anything so that helps.

Moxie disapproves of you neglecting her so shamefully.

A mitten or two a year is a great idea! They seem to roll by so fast lately.

Alisa Kim said...

Hahah I totally agree with the "never finish anything" comment above. I'm making a blanket right now and I knew knew knew I would run out of yarn before I started but I still feel a little flustered hah. Oh dear.

Tracy Altieri said...

Oh - sorry about the yarn! Love the wreath - perhaps it could be an advent calender in reverse!

Heather said...

Oh, KP, you wily minx! I have the same problem with that yarn. Not fun.

Maybe add little sweaters to your wreath? I have one barbie-sized raglan sweater ornament and it is adorable.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

That always happens to me when I try to knit something out of leftover yarn! And then I buy more, and have more left over, and the cycle continues ... I think mini mittens might be just the answer!

And for your wreath (which is beautiful) might I suggest mini stockings to add to your mini mitts? Easier to knit and equally festive, methinks.

Thanks for commenting on my grey scarf post! Unique Melody is a pleasure to knit, and absolute dream to wear (although the yarn I used is bobbling a bit).

Anonymous said...

That always happens to me when I try to knit something out of leftover yarn! And then I buy more, and have more left over, and the cycle continues ... I think mini mittens might be just the answer!

And for your wreath (which is beautiful) might I suggest mini stockings to add to your mini mitts? Easier to knit and equally festive, methinks.

Thanks for commenting on my grey scarf post! Unique Melody is a pleasure to knit, and absolute dream to wear (although the yarn I used is bobbling a bit).

Hilary said...

Don't you just 'love' when you're trying to use up yarn and end up buying more to finish a project? That seems to happen to me ALL the time. The sweater looks very cute, though! As do little Moxie and your mini mittens!

Katie M. said...

Oh, dear, yardage shenanigans! That is always The Worst. Moxie, obviously, agrees. Happy New Year!!