Wednesday, January 23, 2013

clearing the decks


I'm still in the midst of a finishing frenzy. There's going to be a serious FO parade around here as I finish seaming, blocking, sewing on buttons, and the like.
I'm calling this my "virtuous knitting." It's a great feeling to finish things up (though mostly relief and an assuaging of guilt), but really I'm just dying to cast on a new project or two. Or four. 

I'm enamored of this new shawl pattern by JuJuVail -- Pop Spots:

I love the contrast of both color and texture! So pretty.

-------------------------------------------
in the kitchen

- a delicious quinoa salad recipe from Serious Eats

- Smitten Kitchen's gingerbread spice dutch baby pancake (from her new-ish cookbook, one of my favorite Christmas presents)

- skillet curried vegetables and couscous with almonds 
(adapted from Main Course Vegetarian Pleasures, by Jeanne Lemlin)

serves 4

2 T. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. red curry paste
dash of cayenne
1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 carrot, very thinly sliced
2 C. tiny broccoli florets
1 small apple, peeled, cored, and cut into1/2-inch dice
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 C. frozen peas, thawed
1/4 C. raisins
1/3 C. sliced almonds
2.5 C. vegetable or chicken stock (I use Better Than Bouillon)
1.5 C. couscous
1/2 tsp. salt

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder and paste, and cayenne, and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the red pepper, carrot, broccoli, and 1/4 c. water. Cover the pan and steam the veggies until almost tender, about 3 min.

Mix in the apple, scallions, peas, raisins, and almonds. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous and slat, cover the pan, and remove it from the heat. Let sit for 7 min.

Remove the cover, fluff the couscous with a fork, then cover again. Let sit 2 more min. before serving.

5 comments:

Tracy Altieri said...

I love the Pop Spots shawl! I think that I'm up for the challenge - after I finish up MY many unfinished projects!

Love quinoa!

Hilary said...

YUM! I may or may not be making that veggie couscous dish for dinner tonight...thank you!
Good luck finishing those projects...nothing like the desire to cast on a new project to kick that finishing into high gear! It will feel so nice to have all those things done.

Katie M. said...

Yum! Those veggies looks so good. I really need to go grocery shopping ... And high five on all the finishing. It feels so good! But, I agree -- you should make that shawl. It looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

I am so obsessed with quinoa, it is a PROBLEM.

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Oooo, I really like that shawl pattern too. And I may have to try the gingerbread dutch baby for brunch one day this weekend. It sounds delish, thanks for pointing it out!