Friday, January 18, 2013

fo: purl bee little baby sweater

I have been on a finishing kick lately, trying to clear the metaphorical knitting deck at the start of the year. Apparently I had squirreled away quite a few baby knits that just need buttons or seaming! I am all set for the next round of baby showers.

source: the purl bee
yarn: Kitchen Sink Dyeworks Seacell Merino Fine, Ruthie
needles: Hiya Hiya US 2.5 bamboo circs (3.0 mm)

notes:
I really like this yarn, which is now sadly defunct. The sea cell content gives it a nice sheen. My stitches looked a bit uneven as it knit up, but blocking really helped plump up the stitches and even things out.

The pattern itself, however, made me nuts. It is clever in construction in theory (a la EZ), but overly fiddly in execution. Thank goodness I did a solid color instead of stripes, or it doubtless would still be languishing in knitting limbo. What prompted me to dig it out of ye olde knitting basket was a blog post by Anna Maria Horner (love her cheery colorful fabrics!) that she just learned to knit in 2012 and finished a striped version already. I would not recommend this pattern to a new knitter, but kudos to her! Lots of ends to weave in and seams to sew.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it turned out lovely and I like that red~
~Dawn

Rachel said...

I keep forgetting tiny human sweaters are still sweaters...just not so many stitches. They can still be fiddly! Yours looks great...beautiful shade of red!

Katie M. said...

That is a lovely shade of red. And sometimes ... fiddly knitting is the worst. A design challenge is one thing ... The sweater is super sweet, at least!