Monday, May 30, 2011

long weekend

We kicked off some serious R and R with a party at Revolution Brewing Co. to celebrate the end of Chicago Craft Beer Week. Revolution's joint venture with 3 Floyds Brewery, barrel-aged Sodom (an imperial stout), was most definitely the highlight. We even managed to get up bright and early Saturday morning, hop into the Jeep (armed with homemade maple oat scones), pick up friends, and hit the Green City Market, one of the nicest parts of a Chicago summer.  Arugula, rhubarb, and baby salad greens made it into our shopping bag, and fantastic crepes (mmm... rhubarb compote) made it into our tummies. :-)
-----------------------------------------------------

happy hexagons...

Still crocheting up a storm around here. I'm using leftover Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton yarn for Nova's ingenious ruby hexagon pattern. Long-time readers may recognize this yarn from my awesome, 70s style stripey blanket. I'll definitely need to pick up more, but it still feels good to use up all the bits and bobs.
-----------------------------------------------------

I'm also powering through the first sleeve for my Shalder cardigan. There are so many fantastic cardigan patterns out there right now, including Chickadee and Cria from Ysolda's new book -- I really want to finish this before I give in to temptation and cast on for another... Plus I need to start thinking about the Big Lebowski cardigan for Paul.
-----------------------------------------------------
My ice cream maker has been seeing some use! I made some terrific lemon curd ice cream last weekend -- I used this recipe, but simplified it by using a jar of Trader Joe's lemon curd instead of making my own. So tart and yummy -- especially good paired with blackberries.

I loosely followed this recipe for cream cheese ice cream. It's good, but very solid -- the recipe could use a little tweaking. I'll post it once it has been perfected.

13 comments:

Katie M. said...

Ooh, like the new look! Also, I now want an ice cream maker. Yum! This all sounds like an ideal holiday weekend.

sula said...

Love the coolness of the hexagons! And with the promise of a perfect ice cream recipe, you can be sure I'll be anxious to hear more!

Chris said...

I like the new blog look! And your pretty hexagons. :)

barefootrooster said...

that ice cream sounds incredible. and i agree -- the blog looks fantastic! hooray for R and R.

Rue said...

Your new title/logo section is fabulous! As is the whole new blog look. Nothing like a little spring cleaning on the blog front.

I have to confess that the whole post just made me hungry :) Now I've got to see if we can get Miss Tadpole up to the Green City Market next weekend.

marycatharine said...

Sounds like you're having a great long weekend! That lemon curd ice cream sound fantastic, I'll have to try it next time the machine comes out.

Caffeine Girl said...

Sounds like a very fun weekend!

We have an ice cream maker, but rarely use it. I'm afraid that if I get started, I'd eventually be eating nothing but ice cream!

Love your new look.

Gigi said...

Busy girl, you! Love the Shalder, and I agree, there are so many great things to knit out there, it's hard to know where to start!
And the hexes are lovely -- such pretty colors. I love that yarn as well -- so very soft.
Blessings,
GG

Mia said...

I love the new template design! And ice cream sounds lovely right now. It is hotter than the blazes here I will have to find you the link for a recipe for a Sangria granita I just saw. It looked devine!!!

Carrie#K said...

Love the new look!

Oh yum, cream cheese ice cream? That sounds awesome.

The hexagons look good! A really great way to use up that yarn.

Lolly said...

I have the same ice cream maker and I LOVE it! and the crochet hexagons are great too ;)

knitseashore said...

I love the colors of your hexagons. Very ocean-y!

How is your balcony garden coming along? I posted some photos of things I am trying to grow on my deck today. I'd love to cover it in container plants.

The Knitting Instinct said...

The Big Lebowski sweater looks like a fun project, my son would love it!