Friday, May 20, 2011

fantastic friday

The end of the quarter is in sight! I submitted grades this morning, and I celebrated by doing all sorts of lovely things today.

1. wearing my new limited edition Liberty print Bensimon tennies.
Oooh la la, French tennies made with fancy British fabric! I heard about these from Kara at Knitting Lemonade and snatched them up when Piperlime had a big sale. Sadly, they're not available there anymore. I just may have picked up a second pair in another, equally cute Liberty pattern, too.

2. hitting the garden center and getting to work on my little balcony garden.
It may not look like much yet, as I followed my mother's advice and pinched the blooms off the annuals (which is very hard to make oneself do although it's a good idea). I predict that it will be a peaceful green oasis again this summer. I even have a some herbs, tomatoes, and peppers back there. Now to find a good climbing plant for my Eiffel tower!

3. resurrecting the Shalom cardigan for my mom.
Just one sleeve to finish, then the button hunt begins! I meant to finish this for Christmas.  Oops... I never told her about it, so I think I'll just pack it away when it's done and save it until winter. I'm using some Cascade Eco+ that I bought on super closeout at WEBS a few years ago -- this shade of robin's egg blue is Mom's favorite. BTW, Eco+ is on sale at WEBS right now, too. Perhaps it's time to stock up... I'd like to make a Common Ground cardigan for myself.

4. seeing Death Cab for Cutie at Metro tonight! :-)  I love you, Ben Gibbard.

Here's hoping you all have a lovely weekend, too.

13 comments:

Chris said...

Oh, have a great time tonight!! :)

Samantha said...

I pinched back some basil plants last weekend since they were getting leggy and that was hard enough. I'd have a much harder time deadheading flowers! But yes, it's the right thing to do.

nicole said...

I hope you had a wonderful concert.

OMIGOD I love those shoes!!! What a find!

Hope you have a sweet weekend.

Barb T. said...

I love your sweater choices! I want to make a Shalom for myself, and I have been eyeing Common Ground since you mentioned Webs Cascade Eco sale (I bought some and think I will buy more!)

barefootrooster said...

that does sound like a fantastic friday. love the shoes, the fact that grades are submitted, and balcony garden shots. hope ben gibbard and friends were AWESOME.

Katie M. said...

Yay for the end of the quarter! New shoes and new plants are definitely the right way to celebrate. Hope you enjoyed the concert (though we Washingtonians always deliver)!

marycatharine said...

Those shoes are fantastic! I hope the concert was fun... I love Death Cab for Cutie.

Kara said...

YAYAYAYA! Shoes twins! So glad you love them. They look fab on you.

Rue said...

That's right - I really should deadhead my lilies. And actually use some of my basil.

I'm sure your mom will love Xmas in June - that's a great color!

Caffeine Girl said...

Awesome shoes!

I love the color of your Shalom. I'm still looking for someone who fits into mine!

I just had to bop over to Rav to queue Common Ground!

Carrie#K said...

Plenty of time to finish it for Christmas! Unless you meant the last one. Have you started the button hunt yet?

Caroline said...

No one loves summer more than teachers, that's for sure. Good luck with your garden. It will be fun to fun time to spend knitting by your flowers!

Mia said...

I love the little table you have there. And the shade!!! Yes, pinching the flowers and dead heading them does make a difference. Basil will be one to keep on top of.