Monday, June 13, 2011

fire and ice

Mmmm... I think the cream cheese ice cream recipe has been perfected!

 cream cheese ice cream

6 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 C. milk (low-fat or skim is fine)
1/3 C. half and half
3/4 T. fresh lemon juice
2/3 C. sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt


Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Freeze cream cheese mixture in ice cream maker. I use a basic Cuisinart ice cream maker and run it for 18-20 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 2 hours. Let ice cream soften 5 minutes before serving. Delicious with berries!
-----------------------------------------------
We headed up to Wisconsin for some R&R a couple of weekends ago.  It ended up being a heat wave!  We made it up to the Balanced Rock Trail at Devil's Lake State Park despite the heat, and had a great time.
We look pretty happy despite the heat and mosquitoes, don't we?

A quick stop in Madison on the way home, too, including a walk down the Lakeshore Path and through the Allen Centennial Gardens, one of the most peaceful spots on the UW campus.
-----------------------------------------------
More knitting content soon, I promise, as well as another recipe. In the meantime may I recommend a lecture by Alain De Botton -- On Pessimism?

8 comments:

Caffeine Girl said...

Devils Lake really is lovely, isnt' it? I notice that as I get older, I find climbing the boulders more scary! Can you believe I've never been to the gardens -- and live close enough to walk. I'll have to put that on my to-do list for the summer!

Katie M. said...

Yum! I have been eating all the ice cream I can find ... and there's plenty. Delicious! Looks like you guys had a lovely time -- even in a heatwave.

Rue said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. How did Kylie do while the two of you were gone?

That ice cream recipe looks delicious!

Mia said...

Sounds like fun. At least you can use bug repellant to avoid some of the bites.

Sharon said...

Oh, I do love photos from other regions - please don't apologize. How interesting your weather. I'm a little nervous with all the upsets - hope this isn't the new normal. We're going to warm up next week apparently. Our poor tomatoes.

marycatharine said...

Those gardens are lovely! I'll have to try the ice cream recipe as soon as it warms up.

sula said...

I tried your recipe tonight and it is better than I even imagined! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Every sentence I've said since the first bite has started with, "Wouldn't it be good with..."

Carrie#K said...

Has no one pushed that rock over?

Thank you for that link to Alain De Botton! Excellent.