Sunday, February 20, 2011

to pom or not to pom?

I did go with the pom after all!
My new thing is to make custom cards to accompany handknit gifts. This one has a little image and a personal message on the front and care instructions on the back. The scalloped-edge cards are from Target, and I just print them out on my el cheapo HP color inkjet printer.


I enjoyed knitting Melissa Burt's baby sheep hat pattern so much that I cast on for a wee sheep yoke baby cardigan, too. 

Seriously fun to knit. This is definitely going to be a go-to baby shower gift.  I'm already dreaming up other color combinations. Stranded colorwork is one of my 2011 resolutions, and so far it's going swimmingly. Surprisingly enough the hard part is the duplicate stitching. Double ugh! If anyone has any suggestions, let me know, as I can use all the help I can get.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
in the kitchen


Mmmm... Dorie Greenspan's world peace (AKA Korova) cookies. Super delicious, with a sandy texture and lots of chocolately goodness. Especially great served warm with a very large glass of milk. I used fancy Sirius Icelandic bittersweet chocolate, which was a good move, and Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder (not the best choice -- I'd use better cocoa powder next time, but that's what was in the pantry). 

People are obsessed with these cookies.  They're yummy, but I wouldn't go that far...

15 comments:

Katie M. said...

So cute! So yummy! I definitely think the pom was the way to go. And now I want to bake some cookies, too ...

barefootrooster said...

what sweet sheepy knits! now i want chocolate.

Samantha said...

Some kid is going to look mighty cute in that outfit! And thanks for the cookie recommendation... I wasn't so sure about the double chocolate nature of them, but then I saw they don't have eggs and that sort of cookie recipe is hard to come by. Not that I don't eat eggs, but I do try to limit my use of them and as a result don't seem to have them around when I need them (i.e., when I have a craving for home-baked goods).

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the sheep hat and sweater! What a great idea to make a custom card.

Rue said...

The baby knits are adorable! And it's really not fair to post pictures of chocolate like that if you're not going to share :)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally pro-pom! Those sheep are so cute! (Love Shaun-the-sheep :-) )

Rachael said...

Those are just ADORABLE!!

Thanks for the tips on snowboots too, I finally decided that I need some here in Philly and I think I'm going to catch some at end of season sale. Hooray for end of seasons sales while the season is still going on! (bizarre, but comes in handy every now & then)

Jennifer said...

So cute! I love the hat, sweater, pompons and hand-made notes. OK - the goodies look very tempting, too.

elizabeth said...

So cute, and I like the pom!

Chris said...

The pom was totally the right choice. What a great sweater and hat!

Keya Kuhn said...

Definitely like the hat with the pom-pon. Not sure it would have the same level of cuteness without it. Love it!

nicole said...

I love the pom! What a great gift, with the personalized card to boot. Lovely.

Melissa said...

I still haven't made the original sweater, even though I did the hat years ago. Yours turned out great! I think your duplicate stitch looks flawless. What is giving you trouble?

Carrie#K said...

Pom is the way to go! Especially with sheep. ;)

Shan said...

Pom-tastic. Wouldn't be half so cute without.