Saturday, February 26, 2011

February Finishing Frenzy

Episode II: Revenge of the Crochet Hook

Not one, but two long-term crochet projects are done and dusted! I've been weaving in ends like a crazy person for the past couple of weeks (yep, I save the "best" for last). I'll just share one today:
pattern: basic granny square afghan
yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky
hook: Clover Soft Touch J Hook

I started this large-ish baby blanket to use up scraps from my beloved giant granny (best. project. ever.). As is the case with essentially all of my stashbusting endeavors, I soon ran out of yarn. Oddly enough, Cashmerino Chunky isn't that easy to find anymore, so I ended up buying bits and bobs from kind Ravelers to finish up this project. Gotta love the interwebs!

The blog Attic 24 features the loveliest and most colorful crochet projects and patterns. I followed her instructions for joining granny squares -- crochet them together using slip stitch.  Fabulous and not at all difficult!  Certainly far superior to sewing the squares together, imho. 

I wanted to work a granny square border around the whole darn thing, and the areas by the joins were giving me headaches. The border was crinkly and floppy and looked terrible. After ripping it out, I did some "research" (AKA googling) and found this mini-tutorial. Worked like a charm, plus I learned something new to boot -- dc2tog (crochet double decrease). I'd love to add a contrasting scalloped edging, but alas, I'm out of yarn again, so I'm deeming this one good to go.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I really should start another crochet project from my scraps.

Hilary said...

Wow, that's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Beautiful work! I haven't crocheted in quite some time, but seeing your blanket makes me want to pull out my crochet hook and get to it! After I finish some knitting projects, that is. Last thing I need is one more UFO or WIP! =)

Rue said...

Lovely! I really should try a granny square stash-busting project one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Granny squares FTW! And I'm going to check out those links because I've had that same problem putting borders around crocheted things.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Beautiful. So great that you were able to do all that stash busting and find the bits you needed to finish it.

Carrie#K said...

Ooh, want! and it would go so well with my couch/loveseat because I think it's a set to your chair.

Love how you got the yarn to finish it up too. Isn't that always the way? The stash busters always need something new.

Lindsey @ Yarnia said...

It's a never-ending battle. Stashbusting that requires more yarn, more yarn that requires stashbusting...and repeat. I'm impressed that you stopped while you were ahead! :)

Mia said...

I have found it is easier to work on the ends in granny squares as you go along. That will be nice and warm and covered in cat hair in no time.

Sharon said...

Jodi, I just nominated you for a blog award. The rules are on today's post :)

Gigi said...

So pretty! And thanks for the link to Lucy's joining tutorial. I hate sewing squares together and the crochet join looks so much neater.

Chris said...

Congrats on the lovely FO!

nicole said...

I can't crochet to save my life, but I might just have to check the inter-tubes for tutorials, cause you're giving my a hankering with all your beautiful FOs. Love the colours you chose!!!

Katie M. said...

I love this! You are inspiring me to learn how to crochet so I too can make all kinds of blankety goodness.