Tuesday, August 26, 2008

oh, snap!

Disaster struck at knitting circle the other night. Much to my horror, when I opened my knitting bag, I found my one and only pair of Lantern Moon rosewood needles in this state:
Hmmm... not pleased with the durability of these needles, especially considering the high price. Back to Brittany Birch as my luxury needles of choice! That will teach me to splurge.
-----------------------
Startitis has struck, too, I'm afraid, but at least I'm actually finishing up the new projects I'm casting on. This little number is already ready for a dip in some Eucalan:
-----------------------
In the kitchen:
Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas
(adapted from a Cooking Light recipe)

1 tsp. olive or canola oil, plus a little more for cooking the quesadillas at the end
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup salsa – this plays a large part in the overall flavor! Use something that's not too watery.
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Tabasco or hot pepper sauce, to taste
1 (19-ounce) can black beans, undrained
1/2 cup roasted corn (frozen is fine)
1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese, crumbled
8 (8-inch) red chile flour tortillas – available at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s
Top with any of the following:
light sour cream
salsa
guacamole

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa, cumin, cayenne pepper, Tabasco, and beans, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until thick. Mash the bean mixture slightly with a potato masher. Stir in corn; heat gently just to warm up the corn. Remove from heat; stir in the cilantro and goat cheese.

Spread the bean mixture evenly over 4 tortillas; top each with 1 tortilla, pressing gently.

Heat a small amount of olive oil (Cooking Light calls for 1/4 tsp., but I find I need a little more than that) in pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 quesadilla, and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Repeat!

It works well to keep the quesadillas warm in the oven while you’re cooking the rest of them.

-----------------------

reading :: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver

watching :: Spaced & Slings and Arrows (season 1)

No comments: