Sunday, August 31, 2008

the fruits of my labor

Very little actual "labor" is taking place chez Caffeinated Yarn over the long holiday weekend. Instead I've been knitting, hitting the farmer's market, watching movies and WI Badger football, going to BBQs, and heading up to Ravinia to see Aimee Mann and Squeeze! The concert should be a blast from the past. Last weekend I saw the English Beat, who were still pretty good live, though I'm not sure how many people from the original line-up are still in the band. They, of course, played a couple General Public tunes, too.

Katie's lovely garter stitch shawl inspired me to cast on. I'm using Manos Silk Blend in Juniper, re-purposed from my ill-fated lace wrap (no amount of blocking could get it to lie flat):The pattern is the Weaver's Wool Mini Shawl, made popular by knitting genius Terhi at Mustaa Villaa. Mmm... the silk blend is lovely, though I'm sure it will pill like mad. Now I'm dying to try Malabrigo's Silky Merino, which I haven't seen in Chicago or Madison yet.

A while back I knit up another Windy City hat prototype, this time for a dear family friend who gave me a boatload of sterling silver and silver plate serving dishes (including enormous chafing dishes!!! I could host the most elegant tailgate party ever).
Knit Picks Andean Silk, navy

My little Noro number from my last post is drying and will receive a proper post soon. Thanks, too, for all for suggesting that I contact Lantern Moon! I sent them an email but have not heard back yet.

watching :: In Bruges -- meh.

Hamlet 2 -- simultaneously horrifying and hilarious. Not for the faint of heart, as Steve Coogan's character provokes a similar type of mind-bending embarrassment that Michael Scott on the Office does, but EVEN MORE SO. The irreverent musical number "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" truly is the highlight, and Elisabeth Shue is a very good sport. 'Nuf said.

No comments: