Tuesday, August 19, 2008

au natural

I'm enamored of the rustic, natural feel to both of my latest projects. I'm ready for fall, earthy naturals, and cool temps.

Pattern: Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl, by Sarah Bradberry
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden, 88D, 3.5 skeins
Needles: Clover US 7 bamboo circs
Notes: Next time I would use larger needles, probably size 9. This color has been discontinued, and the number of skeins in my stash limited the size of the shawl (shoulder size). Beautiful colorway, but plenty of knots in this batch! The pattern is extremely clear and well-written.
-----------------------------------
Yet another owl hat, this time for me! Yes, Paul and I can be disgustingly matchy-matchy this winter.
Pattern: Owl Hat, by Ruthie Nussbaum
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Green Line Worsted, "Echo," less than 1 skein
Needles: Clover US 6 bamboo circs

Notes: Mods -- 81 sts for ribbing, increased to 88 for stockinette section after ribbing.

The yarn bled like crazy! All over my circular needles, DPNs, fingers (as evidenced below); I even started leaving purpley-brown fingerprints on my camera and doors. So I contacted Beth at Lorna's, who was super nice about it. She explained that I have one of the first batches of Green Line, back when they used natural dyes. She offered to swap me for some of the newer (non-bleeding) Green Line, or recommended that I just keep on rinsing. It took 14 rinses before the water ended up clear-ish (not entirely clear, mind you).

I do love the semisolid color, and the yarn is nice and soft (and organic, to boot). So I would definitely try the new version of Green Line, but I recommend that you steer clear from the earliest batches.

No comments: