Tuesday, February 27, 2007

SP10 Questionnaire

SP9 was so much fun that I signed up for another round!

Secret Pal 10 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Soft natural fibers that aren’t too scratchy – merino wool, alpaca blends, mohair, lambswool, etc. Yummy Malabrigo is one of my favorites. I also like to knit baby stuff with washable wool or wool/microfiber/acrylic blends. I don’t like fun fur, eyelash yarn, 100% acrylic, or boucle. Cotton is too hard on my hands and wrists.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My straight needles sit in two ceramic sheep vases in one of my bookcases and in a lovely blue needleroll given to me by my awesome SP9. The DPNs and circs are jumbled up in a cardboard box under my bed.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting for almost a year and a half. I’m an advanced beginner/intermediate knitter. I’m no longer scared of DPNs, and I’m learning to love lace.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I certainly do. Search by my name, and it should be easy to find. There’s quite the mixture of things on there, so consider yourself forewarned.

5. What's your favorite scent?
I like natural scents -- lavender/vanilla combinations, honey, mint, almond, nut, and citrus. For candles I also like spicy/cinnamon/pumpkin scents.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes, I have sweet tooth, and I like chocolate. I’m trying to watch what I eat, so a ton of sweets is not a great idea. I’m not into gummy or hard candies. Dried fruit and trail mixes are good alternatives. I really like tea (fruity or spicy black/green/red) and coffee, too.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I cross-stitch, quilt, and sew a bit. My favorite cross-stitch designers are Blackbird Designs, Country Cottage Needleworks, The Prairie Schooler, and Little House Needleworks. I don’t spin. I would like to learn needle felting (esp. cute little animals). I also bake and cook.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like indie rock mainly, but also old favorites like Simon and Garfunkel. The Decemberists, Snow Patrol, REM, Regina Spektor, Reindeer Section, and Belle and Sebastian are some current favorites. I also like classical music, especially piano and cello. I can play CDs and MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Blue is my absolute favorite color. Every shade speaks to me, from periwinkle to navy to powder blue. I also like lavender, dark brown, natural/oatmeal, light heather grey, cranberry, dark red, cherry red, and sage green. I don’t like orange or yellow or peach or green with olive tones. Both solid and heather colors are great. I like multi-colored yarns, but I’m not a fan of serious pooling.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I’m married to my college sweetheart (Paul), and we have two beloved indoor tabby cats (Kylie and Capricha). No kids yet.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves, hats, and mittens – YES! No ponchos, but I do like lace wraps, stoles, and shawls.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Hats, mittens, baby stuff, socks (with DK yarn), lace.

13. What are you knitting right now?
- Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl in sage green alpaca
- Campfire Socks in a variegated blue DK sock yarn from Cider Moon
- a rather tiresome Wavy scarf (from Knitty) in red alpaca/merino
- feather and fan scarf in Noro Silk Garden
- baby blanket from Louisa Harding’s Natural Knits for Babies and Moms
- Hourglass sweater
- basic ribbed socks in blue Lamb’s Pride Wildfoote (on hold due to my frustration with fingering weight yarn)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, I certainly do.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
They all have their purpose! I prefer bamboo or wood needles.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
A MDK baby kimono has been languishing in my knitting basket for about 6 months. The cotton yarn just kills me.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. I love snow and spending time with friends and family.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Books, I suppose. I’m a grad student in the humanities in addition to being a voracious reader of fiction, so I’m building quite the library. I also collect blue floral Polish Pottery mugs (often found at Marshall’s or TJ Maxx). Yarn, too 

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Patterns:
- Wicked sweater pattern from Zephyr
- Wonderful Wallaby pattern from Cottage Creations
- Ariann cardigan pattern from Chic Knits

Books: check out my Amazon wishlist

Yarns:
Soft DK and worsted weight yarns are generally my favorites. I’m really very open to most natural fibers (except cotton and hemp). Here are a few things that I’m interested in, but I always love surprises!

- Manos in Wildflowers for mittens and a hat for me
- basic wool yarns like Beaverslide or Cascade 220 or Mission Falls 1824 wool -- I haven’t used any of these yet
- organic or plant-dyed wool
- handpainted yarns (not fingering weight sock yarn, though -- too frustrating)

Magazines: I subscribe to Interweave Knits, and it’s the only knitting magazine I really like.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Tons! Stranded colorwork and cabling are the top two. I want to learn how to crochet. I have picked up a couple crochet books, but I haven’t taken the time to sit down and figure it out yet.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I have finished one pair of socks, and I have more on the needles. I wear a US 9.

23. When is your birthday?
March 30