Tuesday, October 18, 2011

in Chaos' realm

Sorry for the radio silence... Chaos has been reigning chez Caffeinated Yarn for the past few weeks. We moved into our new flat amidst many renovations. The kitchen floor tiling was just completed today, and I'm very excited about getting back into the swing of things!
It's really a great space -- I'll post more photos once all the boxes are unpacked and the spice racks are up. Sewing some jaunty red-and-white checked curtains is on my (mile-long) to-do list.

Not only did we move, but I also got a big promotion at the Press. Hooray! It's a fantastic opportunity for me, even if it does mean that dissertation progress is on hold for a little bit while I settle in.  I have some sad news to share, too, but we'll save that for another post.
-----------------------------------------------
A dear friend kindly sent me a photo of her cute little guy wearing a sweater vest that I knit:
This is the love letter baby vest that I posted about last spring. I'm not entirely thrilled with the neckline, so I'm not sharing the pattern, but it sure looks great on this sweet kid.
-----------------------------------------------
I'm hooked on hexagons again...
 Crochet has magical soothing properties for me (much more so than knitting... curious).

Most of my yarn and knitting projects are still hidden away in boxes that can't get unpacked until the workers finish up around here. I'm dreaming of finding just the right yarn in my stash to knit this friendly-looking big snowy owl from the Purl Bee:


-----------------------------------------------
in the kitchen

My mum's quick and easy recipe for apple walnut torte -- especially tasty served warm with a hefty dollop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream!

Apple Walnut Torte

1 egg
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
dash nutmeg (optional)
1 C. chopped apples (they do not have to be peeled)
1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat egg and sugar. Add flour, salt, baking powder, and (optional) spices, and beat again. Add apple and nuts. Bake in a greased 8" x 10" glass pan, or a 9" glass pie pan for 30-40 minutes.

P.S. Cattywampus posted a variation on the cream cheese ice cream recipe that sounds amazing -- she added cinnamon, allspice, and vanilla extract, along with some crumbled graham crackers at the end. Yum!

15 comments:

Hilary said...

Congratulations on the new place! Moving is THE most time consuming process...I'm shocked you even had time for hexagons and sewing! I'm sorry to hear there's sad news in your realm as well. :( Hope you're doing ok.

Nutmeg said...

I'm glad that you are finally starting to settle in after your move. If your kitchen is any indication, your new place looks fantastic! Congrats again on the job -- I can't believe there still hasn't been an announcement to the department on that yet.

I find it really interesting that you think crocheting is more soothing than knitting. I definitely agree, but I have always assumed it is because I 1)learned to crochet before I learned to knit, and 2) am primarily a crocheter not a knitter. If you're primarily a knitter and still find crocheting more relaxing, that is really saying something! That being said, I bought bigger needles this weekend in the hopes of starting over (and finally finishing) this cabled scarf that I want to make.

Chris said...

Glad you're at least IN the new space - it looks wonderful!

Amy said...

It must be something in the air. I just started a hexagon blanket to use up a bunch of bright colored cascade 220 super wash and have a new throw for the couch. I find crochet very therapeutic as well. I think it is rhythmic meditative quality of the simple pattern. You can totally zone out.

Mia said...

Congratulations on the work promotion! And I love the red in the kitchen. Nice and cheery! And I understand perfect about procrastination in the form of crochet! In my case, boxes of jars filling the kitchen floor has finally meant I had to actually carry them all down to the basement and sort them out.

Rue said...

The kitchen looks lovely! How are you settling in at work? I just finished day 4 of the new job and I'm amazed at how exhausting it is to get settled. This is certainly a week for garter stitch knits :)

Sharon said...

Congratulations! On the move and the step up. Honesty, you need to think in terms of publishing a collection of all the baby sweaters you've knitted. You have a great eye.

Gigi said...

Hi J! Congratulations on the promontion and new place -- clever girl!
Pretty hexes -- great colors. And yes, crochet is so soothing isn't it? One of my favorite projects ever was my crochet ripple blanket a few years ago.
Blessings,
G

Anonymous said...

congrats on the move.

i'm thinking i need a big snowy owl too.

nicole said...

Congratulations on the new place, and promotion. Sorry to hear you have some sad news too.

Katie M. said...

Yay for the new place! And the promotion! I hope settling in is going smoothly. I've been dreaming of knitting that big owl, too. Sigh. Maybe after the job market?

Carrie#K said...

Oh no, after that great news, sad news?

Anonymous said...

Am I reading correctly that there is NO butter in this recipe?

Jodi said...

No butter or oil in the recipe! It's very rich and moist anyway.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing it. Look forward to trying the recipe!