Friday, December 24, 2010

peace and joy

 
Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating today!  We had planned to trek to Minneapolis to celebrate Christmas with my family, but my sweet Kylie cat has had some health problems, so at the last minute we've decided to stay here in Chicago.  The vet has prescribed three pills a day, and she needs to be kept quiet and monitored. Kylie's so happy to be home from the vet, and she's all curled up in a heated cat bed that was a thoughtful gift from a friend.
 -----------------------------------------------------
I'm still chugging away on the handknit gifts. Spending Christmas in Chicago is actually giving me a bit of grace time here! Snow is gently falling, the tree is lit up, and cookies have been baked. 
The cabled earflap hat is off the needles!  I'm modeling it along with the Awbrey cowl in their unblocked states, as I'd like to wash them before giving them as gifts.  I'll add braids to the earflaps, as per the pattern, post blocking. Details for the cabled cowl are here.

Yarn: Malabrigo Chunky, "Mariposa,"  ~ 1.5 skeins
Needles: Clover US 10.5 bamboo circs (16") + DPNs

Notes:
The yarn is just delightful to knit, and the pattern is clear and easy to follow. The cables are a bit complicated, so you can't just zone out, but they're not too tricky. I worked 3 pattern repeats rather than 4, and it's plenty big. I'll definitely be knitting this pattern again, as I want one for myself!

13 comments:

La Cabeza Grande said...

Sorry about your wee kitty girl. Fingers crossed, she'll bounce back in no time.

Meanwhile, enjoy the down time and have a wonderful holiday.

peaknits said...

So sorry to hear about Kylie - my cats are like my first children. Hope she recovers quickly! And Merry Christmas!

Katie M. said...

Oh no, sick kitties are never good. I hope Kylie is recovering ... and you're enjoying a relaxing holiday. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great day! And I definitely hope your kitty is feeling better soon.

Caffeine Girl said...

I hope Kylie is on the mend! A heated cat bed, huh? Not a bad life.

Sometimes quiet holidays at home are the best. Hope yours was peaceful and joyful.

Rue said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you're enjoyed being able to stay home and relax. Best wishes for Kylie - I hope she's feeling better soon.

nicole said...

What a cutie you are. Happy Christmas to you. I hope Kylie makes a quick and full recovery! Enjoy the snuggling.

Chris said...

I hope Kylie's doing better!!

Staying home can be very restorative. :)

elizabeth said...

Nice!!! Hope your kitty's feeling better!

Caroline said...

Hope your kitty is doing better. It seems like staying home in a nice warm house is a good choice with the kind of weather you've been having back there. Of course, I'm a wimp. I live in Central California, and I was shivering going out to our garage when it's about fifty degrees outside.

Carrie#K said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! The earflap hat & cowl look toasty and fetching.

Wow. I love that view. Is that your yard?

I hope Kylie is all better by now!

Keya Kuhn said...

I really like the blue--shows off that pattern very nicely. Your hats turned out lovely! Happy New Year!

Rachael said...

I'm super behind - so a belated well wish for your kitty, I'm glad to see she's doing better!