Thursday, December 02, 2010

best peanut butter bonbons ever

I'm not sure if the stars aligned correctly last year, or if I really concocted the best variation on buckeyes / peanut butter bonbons ever. These received RAVE reviews from everyone. People at parties asked who made them and then grilled me on my recipe. I received emails asking for the recipe.

The secret? They're vegan. Also, mix everything very thoroughly.

1 lb Earth Balance vegan margarine (sticks, not spread)
2 lbs creamy peanut butter (Skippy)
3 lbs powdered sugar
36 oz semisweet vegan chocolate chips (Whole Foods brand)
1/2 bar paraffin

Melt Earth Balance. Using a hand or stand mixer mix melted Earth Balance with peanut butter. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Roll into balls, chill 1 hour.

Melt chocolate and paraffin, dip balls into chocolate. Chill.

Makes about 150 or so.
---------------------------------------------------------
My new Johanna quilt from Garnet Hill arrived today!  I love it.  The prints are designed by Snow & Graham, a local Chicago company, and the mix of modern prints and black paired with a traditional design make for such a cute and different look.

---------------------------------------------------------
elf duties

- These super cute knitting-themed note cards at Papersheep would be a perfect gift for a knitter! I found these via Design*Sponge and immediately ordered some.

- Penzey's extracts gift box is a delight for the baker!  I love Penzey's spices (based in Wisconsin, of course, as many good things are). I'm especially enamored of their vanilla sugar and natural cocoa powder. Also, the new baking mini gift box would make a lovely hostess gift.

Back soon with photos of a handknit scarf and beret for my mum.

9 comments:

Jodi said...

I love that quilt! Set against the black background it reminds me of crocheted granny squares.

Katie M. said...

Congrats on finding the perfect recipe! And that quilt! All of it looks delightful and perfect for winter.

Rue said...

Those note cards are fabulous - thanks for the link! You probably know this already but just in case you don't . . . The Spice House in Old Town is run by the Penzey family. It's so much fun to go buy their fabulous spices in bulk, whether big or small. I've got to get up there soon since I'm almost out of double strength vanilla extract.

La Cabeza Grande said...

You may send the quilt to my home. Thank you. :o)

nicole said...

Your quilt set is SO beautiful. Modern and old-fashioned at the same time.

Those bonbons sound delish, but I must admit I would be tempted to make them with real butter...

Chris said...

Those do sound tasty - and Earth Balance is awesome stuff, isn't it?

Lovely quilt! I just bought a new quilt myself through etsy.

marycatharine said...

Thanks for the links... I think I'll be using some of them :)

Ulrika said...

That is a wonderful quilt!

Mia said...

I love Earth Balance! I am going to ahve to try these bon bons. But I won't tell anyone they are vegan. What they don't know won't hurt them.

No knitting? Strange for you. The quilt is pretty though. Makes me want to pull out the sewing machine and work on a new one.