Tuesday, June 22, 2010

FO: first in a series

Pattern: Verdaia, by Jodie St. Clair
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss Sock, Pumpkin, 2.5 skeins
Needles: Clover US 5 bamboo circular
~ my ravelry project page ~

Notes:
Verdaia deserves better photos than these, so I'll revisit it with a modeled shot sometime soon when the photographer (AKA Paul) is free and not busy playing summer sports. The pattern was a delight -- very easy chart to follow, the leaves are fun to knit, and the main body zooms along quite quickly.

The cast-on method didn’t work terribly well for me, but I muddled through somehow. I knit 3 repeats of Chart 2 rather than 2. This was not the best plan, as now it's truly shawl-sized. I prefer shawlettes that I can wear as scarves.

While in progress, Verdaia looked like a lumpy mass, but blocking really worked wonders. In fact, next time I'd block it even more severely, just to open up the pattern even more!

This color is just gorgeous; sadly KP has discontinued it. What fools these mortals be...

All in all, a very affordable and successful project. Note to self: do not embiggen shawls!!

-----------------------------------------
While almost all of my books have been unpacked (especially my research materials), my knitting supplies have suffered a different fate, sadly. Still in boxes, alas...

I did dig up some cotton yarn (hurray for using up leftovers!), and knit up some quick washcloths:
Two Grandma's Favorite Dishcloths and one Corrugated Cloth. Perfect to knit while watching Miss Marple on Masterpiece Mystery. Guilty pleasures...
-----------------------------------------
things I'm loving:

Take a gander at the NYT slide show -- it's even funnier than the article! I'm sure Capricha would love one, but it's definitely not in the cards.
------------------------------------------------
I checked out Mary's on Wed. night, and it seemed awesome. Anyone have any experience with them? 26 lbs, collapses in less than a minute, would most definitely fit in the back of my Jeep.
------------------------------------------------

The BBC has done it again -- something simultaneously nerdy, hilarious, and wonderful. You can stream it via Netflix.

15 comments:

barefootrooster said...

lovely. so inspired by your lace knitting, despite my most recent fail. and looking forward to the hemlock ring!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Gorgeous shawl! We just finished IT Crown on Netflix over the weekend. It took me a while to warm up to it, but now I'm wishing there was more available now :-)

Misty said...

Wow, the shawl is such a gorgeous color! Thanks for sharing the information about the catios, it made me laugh!

Hilary said...

Gorgeous shawl! I prefer shawlettes, too, but have found that bigger ones still work pretty as scarves. I hope you do get some use out of it because it is really, really lovely!

Oh my goodness, catios. I am still laughing. I LOVE how the cats in slides 2, 5, and 8 are like, "What are *you* looking at? Now get off my catio." Also...my cat definitely needs one.

Micki said...

Lovely shawl! I can't believe KP discontinued that color, either.

Chris said...

Pretty shawl, even without modeled shots!

Someone sent me the catios link - wow, what a life, huh?!

Rachael said...

Shawl is gorgeous! It is hard to stop while there is still yarn left sometimes...

Keya Kuhn said...

I love the color you chose for this shawl! It really makes the edging pattern stand out.

Katie M. said...

The shawl is lovely, sorry it's too big! Oooh, catios. I'm going to have to look into those.

Gigi said...

Beautiful shawl -- perfection! And I do love a bit of dishcloth knitting to soothe my sometimes tangled brain -- granny's favorite is always a good one, isn't it?
And that bike is so cool -- wonder if I could figure out how to do all that collapsing ;-)? Are you a Tour de France fan? Not long til it starts -- can't wait!

justem said...

Stopping by from Amber and Sarah's super crafty swap...saw your Badger and had to say hi! :) I'm a Badger, too!!! :)

Tiffany said...

There are collapseable bikes ALL over Japan. It's a total fad here- and all fads start in Japan!

Mia said...

What a pretty shawl. And my cat would laugh at being contained in a cat-io. SHe ha a whole fenced in yard. That is the way she likes it.

And I have some books to add to your piles. And some yarn too.....

T.M. said...

Love the shawl and the color is stunning. I agree...The IT Crowd is a scream! Found it at the library so I can watch at my leisure. Or over and over to catch what I missed while laughing.

La Cabeza Grande said...

You do fabulous work and this shawl is no exception! I had no idea you were a "pumpkin" person.

I saw the catio stuff too. I'm sure at least one of my boys would love to spend some time outdoors.

Love the bike too. Ironically, there's a weight limit on the very thing that could help you get back in the activity saddle.