Tuesday, March 30, 2010

thirty-two today

Thirty-two already?!? Wow!
Paul baked the most delicious chocolate cupcakes for my birthday. We celebrated with friends at the pub last weekend, with my family in Minnesota last week, and dinner at Cafe Selmarie is on the agenda for tonight.

Add in the fact that we just signed the lease on a cute new apartment (with a nice new kitchen! in a great, picturesque neighborhood!), and my 32nd year is off to a good start despite the nasty cold I picked up while traveling over spring break last week.

Less knitting was accomplished over break than anticipated, but I did manage to finish off two long-hibernating projects, both still in need of blocking (and a proper post with all the details):
An Ariel Scarf (a free pattern by Ysolda Teague) in Sundara Yarn Silky Aran Merino, which is a delightful yarn to knit, although it did leave my needles and hands a striking shade of red. I'm not sure how well it will hold its shape, but time will tell...

The other scarf is a Checkerboard Lace Scarf (a free pattern from the Purl Bee), knit up in Malabrigo sock yarn. This was my first time using this yarn, and I love it! It's soft, has great sheen, and the colors are saturated and deep, plus it didn't bleed at all. I'm not sure I'd use it for actual socks, but I'm definitely going to use it again for scarves and shawls. Now just to think about which color I'd like to try next... Solis? Violeta Africana? Persia? So many great choices...

Still chugging along on the border for the Noro giant granny square, although Kylie has a way of impeding progress.
She truly loves crochet. Smart kitty.

18 comments:

caitlyn said...

Happy birthday!!! Glad that your 32nd year if off to a great start. Congrats on the apartment, too!

barefootrooster said...

happy birthday! hope you have a fantastic day! (and hooray about the apartment!)

Chris said...

Happy birthday! Hope you feel healthy again soon. When are you moving??

Hilary said...

Happy birthday (felicem diem natalem)! And congratulations on the new apartment!

Danielle said...

happy birthday!!! sounds like a great beginning to your 32nd year!

heather said...

happy birthday! Congrats on the new digs as well - enjoy!

Mia said...

Enjoy your birthday!!

And I can't wait to see photos of the new place. Let me know when you are planning on moving since I have a package almost ready to mail out to you.

And I hope the red is set. Let me know if you want to know how I set a yarn.

sheepish one said...

happy birthday! sounds like this year will be a good one!

Micki said...

Happy, happy birthday!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hope you had a great day!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Happy Birthday! And congratualtions on the flat!

peaknits said...

I just want to hug that cat:)

knitseashore said...

Happy Birthday to you, and congratulations on what sounds like a lovely new place!!!!

Katie M. said...

Happy birthday! Hope the day was wonderful!

La Cabeza Grande said...

Two days late but I hope my best wishes are accepted nonetheless! Thirty-two seems to be a popular number of years for my acquaintances.

Caffeine Girl said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like a the start of a great year!

kim said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!! I LOVE those plates. Kylie is too adorable to move her. The blanket can wait.

Bobbi said...

I missed it!!! I'm sorry...never did I realize that you & my Panda are birthday twins! Hope the coming year is full of great things.