Tuesday, April 14, 2009

blue violet

Right now spring seems like the green light in The Great Gatsby -- something wonderful that's always out of reach... Oh well, at least my mother-in-law sent me home from Easter with a cheerful bouquet of tulips.
The tulips may be pink, but I'm in a blue-violet knitting mood right now:
On top, another Opera Scarf, this time in Mirasol Hacho (#306). This merino yarn feels very soft in hank form, but when you're actually knitting, you notice how tightly spun and crisp it is. It feels a bit like a sport/DK-weight Koigu. Sarah from knitting group gave me this yarn as a birthday present last year. :-)

On the bottom, a swatch for the Drop Collar Cable Jacket from the fall/winter 2008 issue of the Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine. I'm using Beaverslide's McTaggart Tweed (the old 2-ply version), in "Wild Myrtle." I'm concerned that the yarn may not have enough stitch definition for the cables. Any thoughts?
-----------------------
Take a glimpse behind the scenes at Netflix. So that's how the DVD magic happens!
-----------------------
I made a valuable culinary discovery while I had the flu. When it comes to soothing a sore throat, the only thing that rivals hot tea with honey is a cool, sweet mango lassi. Both fresh and frozen mango work for this; I might actually prefer the frozen. Trader Joe's sells very affordable bags of frozen, cut-up mangoes.
Mango Lassi

1 C. mango, coarsely chopped (frozen is fine)
1.25 C. plain yogurt
1/4 tsp. cardamom
3 T. sugar (or less, to taste)
6-8 ice cubes

Combine everything in the blender and blend away. You'll probably have to stop and push things down with a spatula a couple times.

Serves 2-3.

No comments: