Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Recipe Round-Up + Tuesday Fun

Baking Bites is one of my new favorite blogs. I tried Nicole's recipe for a Parmesan Tomato Tart to accompany the always delicious and incredibly healthy Summer Minestrone from the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special cookbook. It was wonderful, and I never would have thought of this simple combination of ingredients. I used some fancy schmancy heirloom tomatoes that I had real qualms about buying because of their high price, but it was well worth it. I economized on the Parmesan; I bought a block of the slightly waxy, less expensive stuff (minor gripe: the new Whole Foods near my apt doesn't sell Grana Padano, my economical Parmesan of choice).

Other successful new recipes I've tried lately:

- Martha's Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
Truly easy, sinfully rich and moist. I substituted light sour cream for regular.

- Chicken, Chickpea, and Zucchini Stew
Flavorful, healthy, and not sinful at all. I omitted the tomato paste and served it with yet another Parmesan Tomato Tart.

- Dorie Greenspan's Swedish Visiting Cake
Found via Knitter in the Kitchen. The lemon zest is a great touch. You need to take this out of the oven when it doesn't seem quite done yet to keep it nice and moist. This is good, but not quite as good as my standard Scandinavian Almond Cake (I would post the recipe but it requires a fancy Scandinavian pan).

Tuesday Fun
Check these out:

- the Action Park entry in Wikipedia. Sounds like the most dangerous place in the "civilized" world. I would love to hear from anyone who has actually been there!

- the Stanford University Marching Band entry in Wikipedia. Very rarely do I wish I had attended a different college, but this made me briefly reconsider. Sick and wrong, but oh so very right!

No comments: