Tuesday, April 24, 2012

therapeutic Sunday

On Sunday I woke up early feeling awfully crummy. A therapeutic day of tea, knitting, and Hugh Grant movies was most definitely quite welcome and very restorative.  After a warm-ish winter with a decidedly low level of tea consumption, a rather chilly April has reawakened my love of the tea leaves.
Not only did I finish the second Crazy Zauberball sock (well, the tube part -- I'm still working up the courage to snip the yarn for the afterthought heels), I put the finishing touches on some baby knits.

First, a long-neglected baby cardigan:
pattern: Little Garter Cardi by Ragnheiður Eiríksdóttir
yarn: Beaverslide Dry Goods Fisherman Weight
1 skein of prairie aster + small amount of arrowleaf balsamroot
needles: Clover US 10 bamboo circs
size: 3-6 months

notes:
I started this last summer, but ran out of steam when I ran out of yarn (one of my usual knitting "tricks"). The yarn is Beaverslide's older version, with the 210-yard put-up, and there was no hope of getting more (even after some Ravelry correspondence), so I dug out another skein and went for some contrast. The yarn is terrific -- very natural, soft, lofty, and tweedy! The buttons are ones I cut off an old favorite cardigan when it finally had to be retired. (Note to self: do this more often!)
I love how the i-cord edge is incorporated as you knit the body. The pattern is very clever; it would be easy, however, to miss the instructions for buttonholes.  I used a crochet provisional cast-on at the neck, and it worked great (see instructions here).
--------------------------------------------
linkety:

a Doctor Who shawlette pattern from the latest Knitty
IKEA's urban-planning scheme
-  I'm not sure if I love this or loathe it:
Cute kitten, even if this guy isn't using fresh-squeezed limes for his margaritas.
--------------------------------------------
P.S. Did you realize that one can watch all four of these in a row?
- Notting Hill
- Bridget Jones's Diary
- Music & Lyrics
- Love Actually

If only I'd had the stamina to muscle through Sense and Sensibility, too!

6 comments:

Tracy Altieri said...

Well - I've decided that I love the video - taken with a sense of humor that is! Sometimes tea, knitting and Hugh Grant (definitely Hugh Grant) are just what the Dr. ordered! Notting Hill and Love Actually are two of my regulars - good for what ails you. Hope you are feeling better!

barefootrooster said...

hooray for a day of tea, rest, knitting, and hugh grant. hope you're fully recovered!

Chris said...

Hope you're feeling better! That baby sweater is very cute. :)

Katie M. said...

Hope you're feeling better! I often wonder if my love of Bridget Jones means I have to turn in my feminist card ... but I think there is an argument to be made to the contrary. And in any case, I have to say that I'm impressed by your stamina! (And I still love that giant granny square blanket.)

Hilary said...

I hope you're feeling better! :( Sounds like pretty good therapy to me...especially the Hugh Grant movies. :) Cute sweater, too!

Carrie K said...

I'm reasonably certain I couldn't watch all of those in a row! But I do have Love Actually saved on the DVR to watch, maybe tonight.

That baby sweater is cute! I hope you're feeling better.