Monday, March 12, 2012

brought to you by the letters BSJ and X

Shockingly, this is my first time knitting a Baby Surprise Jacket! Love its unique construction and general cleverness, despite EZ's trademark "pithy" directions.

Clearly I ran out of hand-dyed yarn. Let's just call the solid pink border a "design element." Now to find the perfect buttons...
--------------------------------------------------
The cross-stitch frenzy is continuing...

I finished the "plant kindness" sampler from Little House Needleworks the other day, and now need to frame it. For years my (precise and handy) father cheerfully took over this task for me, but it's probably time for me to man up, so to speak, and do it myself. There are a couple of handy guides to framing needlework here and here.

Another project is already underway, this time a kit from Blackbird Designs' Loose Feathers series:
Still primitive Americana, but a little more complicated. All the floss is overdyed, which means you need to do each x as you go (rather than my preferred Ford-factory-assembly-line method), plus evenweave linen instead of my usual Aida (so much more counting). There are a few crazy stitches like the eyelet stitch and Smyrna cross, plus a boatload of lazy daisies. Fun nonetheless, and a great break for the wrists. Lots of time on the computer at work lately has meant that the knitting pace had to slow down a bit.
--------------------------------------------------
noteworthy:

- Joss Whedon's new film, The Cabin in the Woods, debuted at SXSW, and it sounds intriguing! 
- Orla Kiely's new line of bedding hits the shelves at Bed, Bath & Beyond in May.
- Posie Gets Cozy's online shop features a new whimsical and charming cross-stitch kit.

8 comments:

barefootrooster said...

good letters. adorable sweater. and i bow to your cross-stitch skills.

Jaimee said...

I just checked out The Opinionated Knitted from the library and have plans for my first bsj too

Sherral said...

Cute stuff!

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Somehow the Baby Surprise Jacket comes out cute, no matter if we run out of yarn or whatever. Sweet!

Sharon said...

Great BSG. I've done a couple myself and find them fun as they grow and become a sweater. I don't think the design translates well to adult sizes.

Gina said...

I love your BSJ and I think the second color actually highlights the design better than if you had used the handpainted all the way through.

BSJs are so much fun to make and highly addictive - I've made five so far. They are a great exercise in combining colors.

Chris said...

If you hadn't said you'd run out of the first yarn, I wouldn't have realized you didn't do it on purpose!

Katie M. said...

You know? That is one mighty fine looking design element! I even thought it was on purpose. Can't wait to see more cross stitch!