Tuesday, March 06, 2012

bluebeard

I happily knit the last repeat and cast off my State Street Cowl last weekend. I was a little skeptical about how exactly this oversized, bulky-knit cowl would look on me, but the lace pattern was pretty, and the bird's egg Quince and Co. yarn was such a nice color. 
Yeah, apparently I look like Bluebeard in it. Not exactly what I was going for...

Pattern: State Street Cowl, by Pam Allen
Yarn: Quince and Co. Puffin, bird's egg, 2.2 skeins
Needles: Clover US 13 and 15 bamboo circs

note to self:
Do not knit another humongous cowl.

I'm left with a conundrum -- what to knit with this yarn? So far it has been an Oatmeal Pullover (too bulky), a garter stitch blanket (not enough drape), and this cowl. Sigh...
-------------------------------------

While flipping through the latest WEBS catalog I was pleasantly surprised by the really lovely and creative patterns written for their exclusive (i.e., affordable and competitive with Knit Picks) line of Valley Yarns. I'm still finishing my Aidez cardigan, but that doesn't mean a girl can't dream...
-- Valley Yarns 361 Teal Top-Down Cardigan
Cute pattern, with a decidedly un-cute name. This one looks great for layering or pairing with a denim skirt?
-------------------------------------
-- Boothbay lace pullover (knit sideways!)
I think my mom would love this -- comfy but still rather elegant.
-------------------------------------
Another soulless name for a very attractive pattern. Looks like a versatile cotton knit for spring and fall, and the so-called "nalgar" ("raglan backwards") sleeves are intriguing (though slightly linebacker-y).
I'm usually not so big on spring knits, but WEBS actually has me inspired! Bravo.
 -------------------------------------
 
An Orla Kiely pear tablecloth found its way to my doorstep, and it's just begging to be turned into curtains for my re-vamped study!

7 comments:

weriem said...

The boothbay lace pullover is gorgeous!!! See you tomorrow I hope!

Chris said...

Hmm. Maybe this yarn needs to become someone else's problem...

Maryse said...

I look forward to seeing your finished Aidez! Isn't it fun to ponder about future projects?

Tracy Altieri said...

Well - the shade of your cowl is lovely! The peek of the table cloth makes me think it would make terrific curtains!

Mia said...

I really love the Valley Yarns line by Webs. I have bought it at the store and love it. It holds up and I love the colors.

Katie M. said...

Oh, no, not Bluebeard! The color is so pretty, it's too bad that the yarn isn't playing nice ... I think those curtains will be awesome -- and I love the granny square blanket hanging out in the background!

Noelle said...

I would give my right arm for that tablecloth! How can I get one??