Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving training

We're slowly but surely getting settled into our new digs. I'm loving the built-in bookcases (especially since our bookshelves couldn't make it out of the basement in our last place -- yeah, that's an unexpected downside to assembling three tall bookcases in situ).

Most of my knitting supplies are still inaccessible. At first I was excited about the challenge of being creative about using the yarn I actually could reach. Then I finished the main section of this cozy crochet baby blanket, only to discover that I couldn't find the contrast yarn for the edging... Doh!  Unpacking and organizing the craft stuff is on the agenda for after Thanksgiving. 
 --------------------------------------------------
Speaking of Thanksgiving, I'm in training today -- savory pumpkin pie and cranberry juice for lunch. Yum! OK, it's really more like a quiche.
 
savory pumpkin and onion quiche

caramelized onions
1-2 T. olive or vegetable oil
 4 C. thinly sliced onions
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried thyme

9" pie crust -- I follow Martha's instructions, but you could easily use a premade crust
1 C. grated Gruyere cheese
1 C. milk
3 large eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground dry mustard
1 C. pumpkin puree (I use canned)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a dutch oven or heavy skillet, heat the oil on med-low heat. Add onions and saute for 15 min., stirring frequently. Stir in salt, sugar, and thyme. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and cook for about 15 more minutes, until the onions are caramelized --- they should be golden and sweet, nearly falling apart. Add the pepper and saute another 5 min.

Spread onions across bottom of pie crust. Sprinkle cheese on top of the onions. Whisk together milk through dry mustard. Blend in pumpkin. Pour mixture over cheese in crust.

Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F, and bake 45-50 min. more, or until pie filling has set and tester comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
--------------------------------------------------
PSA for Chicago 'peeps


Wishing each and every one of you a very happy (and relaxing) Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

nicole said...

Your new place looks beautiful!

Happy thanksgiving!!

Katie M. said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope all the training pays off and you have a spectacular holiday! Good luck finding that yarn ...

p.s. The new place looks amazing!!

Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Pumpkin quiche?! Yum!

Oh, those built-in bookcases are gorgeous!

Mia said...

I love the idea of built in bookcases. I need to trim books out again since I am running out of book space.

And yes you need to get your knitting supplies organized.

The pumpkin quiche sounds interesting. I have another large butternut squash to pressure can. I need to find recipes to use it all up.

Laura said...

Sounds yummy...

Some time ago, you posted about pistachio cookies - could you send me the link? I think they would be a novel thing for Christmas giving!

Thanks!!

Rue said...

The new place looks fabulous!

I'll have to try that quiche recipe (after we finish our latest pumpkin pie, of course). Savory will be a nice change from the sweet.