Saturday, January 30, 2010

fo: travelling woman

Yikes, it must look as if all I do is knit shawlettes! This one I actually knit back in November and December of 2009, but couldn't share until now as it is a gift for someone familiar with ye olde blog.
Pattern: Travelling Woman, by Liz Abinante
Yarn: The Plucky Knitter, MCN fingering, "Bev's Lava Lamp," .75 skein
Needles: Clover US 6 bamboo circs
Notes:
Easy, pretty pattern, and definitely a quick knit. I had lots of yarn left over. Next time I’d add one more repeat of the the first lace pattern.

The Plucky Knitter’s MCN is always a joy to knit – it’s soft, springy, luminous, and just plain wonderful. The color’s a little bright for me, but it should please the recipient and most definitely provide a cheery touch of color on a bleak winter day.

------------------------------------
in the kitchen...

It's winter, so I'm on a soup kick again!

The Cook's Encyclopedia of Soup
is one of my favorite cookbooks, and it's a true treasure trove of all sorts of soup recipes. The Carrot and Coriander Soup is in my regular rotation.

Twelve Months of Monastery Soups is new to my kitchen bookcase, and I'm dying to try some recipes. That said, this books has a special appeal aside from the soup recipes themselves.

Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette is a Benedictine monk at a monastery in upstate New York, and his book definitely reflects this. The illustrations look like reprints of medieval-style woodcuts, and the ink is an unusual dark brown. A very unique aesthetic for a cookbook!

While I'm not a terribly religious person myself, I'm intrigued by the traditions of monastic life and dedication to a life of service. Plus The Name of the Rose is one of my favorite novels, and I watched those Brother Cadfael mysteries on PBS back in the day. So I'll keep you posted as to how the recipes are.

1 comment:

La Cabeza Grande said...

Nothing wrong with a beautiful, heartfelt gift of a shawlette.

Monastery Soups? Sounds interesting.