Monday, May 11, 2009

cabling along

Moving along on the Drop Collar Cable Jacket at a fairly brisk clip...
The back and two fronts are all done, and I am zipping along on the first sleeve. The bulky yarn and heavy patterning is hard on the hands and wrists, so I have to take it a little easy. The Beaverslide is wonderfully soft and earthy feeling; one skein had LOTS of knots, though. I was pleased as punch when I remembered about spit-splicing. I've been knitting with too many superwash wools and blends lately -- that "technique" had slipped my mind!

Smitten Kitchen featured this recipe for Raspberry Crumb Breakfast Bars (from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking from the Baked Bakery in Red Hook, Brooklyn) a while back, and I finally got around to trying them. Delicious!
They have a wonderful tart bite to them that goes nicely with rich buttery crumb. The initial post had a typo (250 degrees rather than 350 degrees) that made these a bit of a challenge; the link is to the edited post with the correct temperature. The recipe makes a huge batch -- unless you're baking for a crowd, I recommend making a half recipe and use an 8" x 8" pan.

No comments: