Monday, December 22, 2008

decaffeinated

Last week was rough chez Caffeinated Yarn. Here's the score:
food poisoning: 1
Jodi: 0

Due to my "trick stomach" I haven't had coffee since last Monday. This is a new record; I haven't gone this long without the magical bean juice since I was 15. But I'm finally feeling much better. For a while there I was too sick even to read or knit. The horror!

The shopping, baking, and gift wrapping are almost complete. We're making the cold, snowy trek to Minneapolis on the 24th. Let's hope that Old Man Winter cooperates.

A new scarf for my mother-in-law:
Pattern: Just Enough Ruffles, by Laura Chau
Yarn: Classic Elite Lush, Granny Smith, 3 skeins
50% merino, 50% angora
Needles: Clover US 8 bamboo circs

Notes:
I cast on an extra 20 stitches to get a bit more length. I only worked 13 short rows on each side, as I was needlessly afraid of running out of yarn again.

The "apple green" Malabrigo was just too bright for me in the end. I picked up this soft angora-blend yarn at Lakeside Fibers on a day trip to Madison. It's one of my favorite yarn stores, especially on a cold wintry day when you can relax with a cup of delicious coffee while looking out upon beautiful Lake Monona. Madison, oh how I miss you! Someday I'll be back... unless Boulder or Portland steals my heart, that is.

Wearing this scarf is like snuggling with a bunny's soft tummy. Heavenly!
I couldn't resist knitting yet another Owl Hat. I've even used this exact yarn before (Patons Classic Wool Merino, grey mix). It's fun to knit every time. This one's for my brother-in-law, who has demonstrated a surprising appreciation for handknits in the past.

2006 cookie of the day: Kanelkakor (Swedish Walnut-Cinnamon Cookies)

Happy Solstice to all!

With love from chilly Chicago,
Jodi


No comments: