Wow! There's a lot of dedicated sock knitters out there! Thanks to all for entering my little contest. I'll keep taking entries for the rest of today, and I'll draw a couple names tomorrow.
Unless you're one of my swap partners, this entry is probably not too interesting.
KNITTERS’ COFFEESWAP QUESTIONS
1. Whole bean or ground?
2. Fully-loaded or decaf?
3. Regular or flavored?
Either! Flavored usually wins out, but really good regular is awesome, too.
4. How do you drink your coffee?
I make a pot of drip coffee just about every morning, and drink my coffee with fat-free half & half (thank you, modern science) and sugar as I check my email. I sometimes break out the espresso maker or the French press. For a special treat, I add a nip o’ Bailey’s to my coffee.
5. Favorite coffee ever?
Steep & Brew’s Icing on the Cake, from the
6. Are you fussy about your coffee or will any old bean do?
Medium-fussy. Not a big fan of my mom’s Folgers or my in-laws’ Maxwell House.
7. Favorite treats to have with your coffee?
Biscotti, scones, coffee cake, cookies. I grew up in a Minnesotan-Scandinavian-Lutheran household like in
8. Anything else about your coffee preferences?
I love trying new coffees from indie roasters, esp. flavored coffees.
9. Yarn/fiber you love?
Soft, natural-fiber yarns are the best! I’m a big fan of Malabrigo, Rowan 4-ply soft,
10. Yarn/fiber you hate?
Not a fan of 100% acrylic, boucle, or anything too wild.
11. What's on your needles?
- “Hattie’s Rose Garden” shawl in Mountain Colors alpaca blend, in deep shades of raspberry, blue, brown, and green.
- diagonal striped baby blanket in DB Cashmerino Aran - lots of colors!
- Mr. Greenjeans cardi in violet Malabrigo
- squirrel and oak mittens in Knit Picks’ Wool of the
12. Favorite colors?
Blue (light or dark), plum, dark red, lavender, chocolate brown, green, natural, wine... Not a fan of really bright or pastel colors.
Cigarette smoke, dogs, molds, pollens – nothing too much to worry about. No yarn spun from Golden Retriever fur, I suppose. I'm allergic to cats, too, but that doesn't stop me from having two of them. :-)
I’m looking forward to trying some new coffee and getting to know some knitters! I really like mugs – ones with
- How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
Almost 2 years. I learned at a coffee shop here in
- Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Intermediate. I’m fairly new to colorwork, and so far I love it! I’m into cables and easy lace.
- What are your favorite colors? Any you dislike?
Blue is my absolute favorite color, pretty much all shades from periwinkle to navy. I also like dark red, plum, green, lavender, aqua, chocolate brown, and cream/natural. I’m not a fan of really loud or bright colors or pastels.
- Do you like Latvian type patterns? If so, what are your favorite patterns?
I love how they look, but I haven’t tackled any actual Lativan patterns yet! I’m pretty excited about Scandinavian-style mittens, as well as whimsical variations. My favorite pattern is “Squirrel and Oak” mittens from Hello Yarn. I’m working on a pair in chocolate brown and tan.
- Do you desire mittens for yourself, your "special someone else" or your child?
Me! My husband wouldn’t wear mittens, and we don’t have any kids yet (just cats).
- What other things do you enjoy knitting?
Baby stuff, socks, shawls/wraps, hats, scarves…
- What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
Straights or circs. I haven’t tried magic loop yet. I stick to bamboo or wood most of the time, but I do like Pony pearls for socks and the Knitpicks metal circs. I would like to try Swallow flexible casein needles at some point.
- What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
Squirrelly Swedish Mittens! Close runner-up = Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Norwegian Mittens
- What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?
- What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden? Cook?
I’m very into cooking and baking (love Cooking Light magazine). I’m a big reader (mainly fiction), I’m into music (indie rock but also things like Simon & Garfunkel), and I like to quilt, embroider, and cross-stitch.
- Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
I like mugs – esp the blue floral Polish pottery mugs, mugs with
- What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Anything you hate or are allergic to?
I like sweets – chocolate (milk or dark), mint chocolate, scones, biscotti, and dried fruit. I’m trying to lose a few pounds, so not too many goodies, please! I love trying new teas and coffees. I’m not into gummy or hard candies.
- Do you have any kids? Pets?
No kids yet. We have two beloved brown tabby cats, Capricha and Kylie.
- What is your favorite part of Winter?
Almost everything! Snowflakes, cold air, snuggling under a down comforter, ice skating, sledding, cross country skiing, ice-covered trees, wearing handknit woolen socks and mittens, drinking hot cocoa in front of my wood-burning stove… I grew up in
- What is your least favorite part of Winter?