Tuesday, January 16, 2007

my first mohair experience

So many knitters complain about mohair, and I'm finally experiencing its joys as well as its frustrations. Here's a little kitten baby hat on the needles, knit with Sandnes Garn "Kitten" on size 3 needles. The pattern is by Joan Gilbertson, and so far I have no complaints. I can't find information on her designs online. This hat's cuter than the S&B version, and I love that I'm supporting an independent designer. I bought the pattern at Ingebretsen's in Mpls. It's not listed in their online catalog, but I'm pretty sure they can accommodate requests.


Note to all who might be interested in the Lace-Edged Women's Hat pattern from Head Huggers: the lace edge curls a LOT! Steam blocking it fixes the problem, but who wants to do that every time you wear a hat? I don't recommend this pattern even though the hat is quite fetching.

There's also been some top-secret, unbloggable knitting going on, but you'll just have to wait to see it. Alas, Wavy grows ever so slowly.

I caught a fabulous animated short film on PBS the other night. Still Life with Animated Dogs is intelligent, thoughtful, and charming. Paul Fierlinger tells the story of his life and his dogs as he muses on the nature of the world -- human, canine, and otherwise. Two thumbs up! It won a Peabody in 2001.

7 comments:

janna said...

The kitten hat is so cute! And I love mohair and all other fuzzy yarns. Not sure why!

Anonymous said...

That hat is adorable. Best of luck wiht the mohair :)

(Angie) Norththreads: said...

Hi Jodi!
Your knitting is gorgeous! I wish I could knit! Thanks fo visiting!
~cheers~
Angie

Anonymous said...

Kitten hat+ kitten yarn= friggin adorable!! :)

Anonymous said...

loving Wavy! I've been secretly covetting that from afar, once I finish my short row ribbed scarf.http://www.magknits.com/warm05/patterns/rib.htm

Anonymous said...

I must say that wavy is looking quite nice.

And a clue to my identity.

You might not know what my blog is about just from the name.

SP

Anonymous said...

Your clogs are awesome!

We had that fireplace in our house when I was a kid.