Monday, April 27, 2015

strikes and gutters

The morning after I last posted we woke up to a light dusting of snow. The winter that never ends! The sun is shining again, my spring flowers survived the frost, and 70-degree temperatures are in the forecast, so things are looking up. Catching up with my knitting...

pattern: northern loop, by tante ehm
yarn: bernat roving, gardenia, 3 skeins
needles: clover US 10.5 (6.5 mm) bamboo straights

notes:
A few bad choices from the get-go on this one. The yarn is deep stash -- it's super bulky, almost too warm to be worn doubled, plus I didn't really have enough yarn to make it long enough to double comfortably. I should have used larger needles, as the resulting fabric is pretty stiff and doesn't have much drape. I did my 3-needle bind-off on the wrong side, to boot. Ugh! Well, you win some, you lose some. At least it didn't take long to knit, and the colors are pretty -- reminiscent of jelly beans.
------------------------------------------------------------
handknits in action:
 Here's Erik keeping busy at the park in his little coffee bean cardigan.
When I knit this (way back before he was born), I thought that the proportions seemed a little off, though I hadn't swatched for it, so it may be entirely my fault!
I knit the 3 month size, and here he is still wearing it at 18 months. It's pretty wide on him, and it’s sort of a crop-top look, with sleeves on the short side, too. On the plus side, the yarn (Lion Brand Cotton Ease) is holding up very nicely, and I love the color combination (lake + almond).

5 comments:

Rue said...

Hooray for stash busting! The colors on the wrap/cowl are lovely. Would/did wet blocking help the drape at all?

Erik looks smashing in that sweater - the colors are terrific. Baby sizing is a trip isn't it? I generally skip the newborn sizes and then assume that whatever I make will fit at some point (assuming I started knitting early enough).

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Erik is SO BIG! And I agree, so handsome in that sweater!!

Caffeine Girl said...

I bet Erik isn't complaining about the proportions on the sweater!
He has grown so much since September. It's scary, isn't it?

Gillian said...

The cardigan is lovely and good that it fits well. I think sleeves that are too long on a child really get in their way.

julie said...

What a lovely sweater!Love the colors you choose!