Thursday, July 11, 2013

fo: bitty cabled cardigan

Thanks for all the kind words about our big news! Once I got over my morning sickness, I was bitten pretty hard by the baby knitting bug. This cabled cardigan is absolutely teensy, and I know that our little guy will fit into it for approximately three minutes, but I couldn't resist.

Plus it turns out that baby knitting is a great way to use up leftover yarns and those random single skeins I used to pick up at fiber festivals.

pattern: bitty cabled cardigan, by Heather Cabanas
yarn: knit picks swish worsted, dove heather, 1.5 skeins
needles: US 6
size: newborn

notes:
Easy-peasy wee cardigan! I love the top-down construction, and the cables were fun to knit. Next time I might reverse the cables on one side so that they're mirror images. A very fast little project. I picked out the inexpensive navy buttons at JoAnn. I've kind of given up on finding great buttons -- if you have any bright ideas or great sources, please share!

This is a pretty strong contender for what our little guy will wear home from the hospital this autumn. : )

P.S. There's now a bigger bitty cabled cardigan pattern with larger sizes.

5 comments:

Tracy Altieri said...

How wonderful to be able to knit with a very clear recipient in mnd! TThe cardigan is lovely.

Rue said...

That's an adorable sweater! And I'm a huge fan of babies coming home in hand knits.

Ilona said...

Congratulations! I love that sweater. I just gave one in that pattern as a baby shower gift last night. The mom to be loved it!

Hilary said...

Don't resist the urge to knit teeny newborn things...it's a very fun part of being pregnant. :) I agree that that cardi would make for beautiful coming-home-from-hospital wear!

Hugo said...

Cool!