Tuesday, November 06, 2012

voting day

I voted! My polling place just happens to be my local library, which meant that I could pick up some audiobooks and holds at the same time. Very nice.
Sadly Chicago does not give out cute stickers, just "ballot receipts." I did, however, get to vote using two seriously oversized paper ballots, which I fed into a ballot reading machine. A surprisingly satisfying experience, especially since the scanner makes a dramatic noise as it accepts your ballots and sucks them in.

Even if you're not a fan of the big two, many states have important congressional races and referenda (oh, how I wish I could "vote no twice" in my home state of Minnesota).
--------------------------------------------------------
 I've been knitting up a storm the past couple of months, but seem to be lacking in follow-through.

 A shawlette and scarf to block....

wee little cardigans in want of buttons...

and another cardigan on the needles for me. This time it's Drops pattern no. 113-17 in a lovely heather shade of Cascade 220. I'm done up to the underarms -- time to get to work on the sleeves before my momentum dissipates.

--------------------------------------------------------

Moxie is fluffing up quite nicely for the winter. Paul has nicknamed her "Captain Crochet" for her fascination with handmade afghans.

--------------------------------------------------------
in the kitchen



I made a rather amazing looking chicken en croute the other night. I'd like to tweak the leek and bacon stuffing, as it was a little bland, but I'll share the recipe once it's perfected. This is really fun to serve to guests.

Martha Stewart's amazing recipe for giant ginger cookies is always a hit. I recommend slightly underbaking them to keep them nice and chewy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all of this. And I am excited for that chicken recipe -- gorgeous! Also, Boh sends his regards to Captain Crochet. Happy (I hope) Election Day!

Shirley said...

I voted no twice in Minnesota and would have happily done it again for you!

peaknits said...

Voting a the library sounds amazing. I was in a little pole shed:) rural swing state wisconsin! That darned cat is gorgeous! What a blessing.

Tracy Altieri said...

I tried to read the titles of your audio books - but couldn't really make them out - I'm always fascinated by what others are reading - and I am into audio books these days - makes knitting and keeping up with books so much easier!

Nutmeg said...

I'm definitely interested in that chicken recipe, when you're ready to post it!

lauren said...

Haha! My Chicago voting experience is very much like yours: "AGH no stickers!!" .... "ooooo feeding a comically oversized ballot into a machine sure is fun!"

Hilary said...

In San Francisco we also have those oversized ballots and ballot-slurping machines. It *is* satisfying! (So much more fun than voting absentee.)
Look at all that knitting you've done! The little teeny sweaters are sooo cute.

Chris said...

Fortunately, we squeaked by on those important NO votes! :) And I wore my "I voted" sticker proudly all day.

Of course, since you know where I live, I'm sure you can picture my polling place. It was stuffed full of GLBTQ t-shirts and quiet determination.

rachel said...

Can't wait to see those baby cardigans finished! That shade of cascade looks beautiful - what colour way is it? Hope you finish it soon ;)

Katie M. said...

That is one very fluffy Captain! Yay for voting and delicious-looking chicken recipes. And so much knitting!